Just about done with the chicken mash...now what?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by p2chick, Dec 11, 2008.

1. p2chick

p2chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2008
    My big bag of chicken mash is just about done. My chickens are 20 weeks old and not laying yet. Can I move over to the laying pellets or should I just buy another bag of mash?

I mean what if they start laying in a couple of weeks. I'd have a 3 mo. supply of mash left.

thanks guys.
  2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Many ways to do it, I personally would just switch to layer pellets. Others would say go with mash and mix in with later, some say wait till lay, some say go with a flock raiser and do calcium on the side. No one right way as long as they are being fed and happy.
  3. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

I switched over to layer pellets around the 20 week time frame, and the first one started to lay about 3-4 weeks after that.
  4. corydonald

corydonald Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2008
    my coop
    [​IMG] <pellets. i love them. i luv being handfed with them
  5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY

I don't know where you are, but some of the feed stores around here sell the same stuff that is in 50 pound bags loose in bins. If you could find a store like that, you could buy 10 or 20 pounds or whatever it is that you think you need. It's a little more expensive than buying it by the large bag, but worth it if you don't need a lot.

I just bought about 12 pounds of loose chick starter because I have 5 chicks that are due to switch to grower in about 1 1/2 weeks and I was running low on the starter.

Hope this helps! Genie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by