just agreed to take a bantam hen and chicks HELP

ChirpyChicks1

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013
Kansas
I've never dealt with a bantam hen and I've never dealt with a hen raising babies. :eek:

I'm going to have them separate for a couple of weeks from my flock. So i have a little bit to figure out how im going to go about that but i have other questions.

I have 5 full grown hens, will one bantam be okay with them? I know it will mostly depend on personalities but do the two sizes typically do okay mixed? I already planned on getting chicks next spring so i might end up finding new homes for these guys, I just want to get them through the winter.

She hatched the babies so are they 100% bantam as well? I have no idea the breed or ages. I haven't even seen them yet.

Is grower feed okay for chicks under 8weeks? I just bought 100 lbs of layer feed. :/ So i was thinking grower feed for mama and babies since they'll be alone for awhile. I have oyster shell i can give her.

As soon as I said I'd take them (owner can no longer care for them) I started freaking out :/

Congrats on the hen and chicks!

It will be harder to introduce her to full grown hens. But she will also have the advantage of flying and getting away easier.

What kind of bird was the chicks' father? That will determine whether the chicks are 100% pure bantam.

Hold off on any oyster shell. This will damage kidneys in the babies and the mama won't need it since she won't be laying for a while. The grower should be fine. Just make sure not to feed the chicks layer feed until week 18.

You'll be fine!
big_smile.png

Congrats on the hen and chicks!

It will be harder to introduce her to full grown hens. But she will also have the advantage of flying and getting away easier.

What kind of bird was the chicks' father? That will determine whether the chicks are 100% pure bantam.

Hold off on any oyster shell. This will damage kidneys in the babies and the mama won't need it since she won't be laying for a while. The grower should be fine. Just make sure not to feed the chicks layer feed until week 18.

You'll be fine!
big_smile.png
X2

Bantam hens are pretty tough but I always keep my separate from standards. They can get into some trouble and get pretty beat up.

You will be very surprised at how good the mom will care for the babies. I LOVE my hens to take care of my babies. They are so much better than we are.

Thanks for the help. I have no info on the hen (age or breed), chicks, or rooster. They showed up a few hours ago and I'm fairly certain the chicks are not 100% bantam as they are already rather large. Also 110% sure 2 out of the 4 babies are roos. So they will be going to new homes asap (sure hope I don't fall madly in love)
tongue.png

The owner said they bought them from a large sale around a month ago and thought the babies were only a few days old at that time but got no information on them. Do roos have large combs at only 4-5 weeks old? I have one picture I'll upload but mama is very upset and babies hide if I go near so I'll get pics of them over the next few days.

Mama does not have feathers on her feet but babies do, could the mama have lost her feathers for some reason? Again, feathered legs are not something I have experience with. I plan on doing lots of my own research tomorrow but these guys were a complete surprise and I had no time to prepare, just trying to help the owners out.

One of the roos sticking his head out lol

any idea on breed, will also post in the breed forum

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I have no info on the hen (age or breed), chicks, or rooster. They showed up a few hours ago and I'm fairly certain the chicks are not 100% bantam as they are already rather large. Also 110% sure 2 out of the 4 babies are roos. So they will be going to new homes asap (sure hope I don't fall madly in love)
tongue.png

The owner said they bought them from a large sale around a month ago and thought the babies were only a few days old at that time but got no information on them. Do roos have large combs at only 4-5 weeks old? I have one picture I'll upload but mama is very upset and babies hide if I go near so I'll get pics of them over the next few days.

Mama does not have feathers on her feet but babies do, could the mama have lost her feathers for some reason? Again, feathered legs are not something I have experience with. I plan on doing lots of my own research tomorrow but these guys were a complete surprise and I had no time to prepare, just trying to help the owners out.
Not all bantams have feathered feet. So mama may be one of those and then her babies are a mix and have feathered feet. I had a hen have chicks like that once only she has feathered feet and some of her chicks didn't.

Yes, roosters will have bigger combs at 4-5 weeks.

From what I found so far she looks like a partridge cochin but she doesn't have the feathered feet. Hopefully tomorrow she'll let me get a better look. Thanks for your input :)

Back
Top Bottom