Just amputated a chicken leg

20210922_112842.jpg
He's already wiggled out of his bandage twice so I went ahead and sprayed the wound with whatever this is. An employee at TSC recommend it to me and said she uses it for her chickens so I thought I'd give it a try.

The Microcyn is ok.
I would suggest that you give him a round of antibiotics. Do you have any on hand?

At minimum, I would go to TSC and get a bottle of Procaine Penicillin G. You will need a the smallest syringe you can find and a 20 gauge needle. He's small so I would dose him at .10ml per pound of weight injected into the breast muscle alternating sides once a day for 4-5 days.

If you can quickly get Amoxicillin (see if you can order those from your TSC - fish antibiotics) that would be better than giving injections.

Did you leave one end open so the wound can drain?

@Eggcessive may have some better suggestions for you too.

I also think that antibiotics would be good for an amputation. Penicillin injectable is available at many feed stores (in the refrigerated medicines,) and Aqua Mox or Fish Mox amoxicillin is found online, or sometimes in feedstores. Clindamycin or cephalexin are good antibiotics to help prevent bone infections, and may be found online for fish or birds. Watch the wound for any swelling or drainage, or a bad odor. Hopefully your cockerel will recover well.

The Microcyn is ok.
I would suggest that you give him a round of antibiotics. Do you have any on hand?
I don't have any :/
At minimum, I would go to TSC and get a bottle of Procaine Penicillin G. You will need a the smallest syringe you can find and a 20 gauge needle. He's small so I would dose him at .10ml per pound of weight injected into the breast muscle alternating sides once a day for 4-5 days.
If you can quickly get Amoxicillin (see if you can order those from your TSC - fish antibiotics) that would be better than giving injections.
I'll see what my TSC has tomorrow. I'm pretty sure they have Penicillin and I already have sterile syringes.
Did you leave one end open so the wound can drain?

@Eggcessive may have some better suggestions for you too.
I didn't leave it open but I can add a drain if needed.

Back
Top Bottom