Just an insurance rant... almost 2 yrs ago we had an accident

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
that was NOT our fault.

We were rear ended by a teen right off school property.

fast forward; I was not able to do my business properly for the next month due to doc appts, lack of car and
just lack of money due to not being able to GET OUT to do my job...

my avg 2 wk pay (gross) was $3892 and they offered me NOT INCLUDING my medical (which was paid $5xx.) $1481..I said that wasnt enough..
I lost more than that w/not being able to work...
6 months later..they contacted me today.. they can offer me $1750 and not a penny more...

really?? thats less than 1/2 of what I would have grossed...now granted..hubby said take it..but honestly..I feel its a slap in the face..

I DID NOT ask to be rear-ended or yanked around for almost 2 yrs..
no I dont have a lawyer; it wasnt that big of an accident...and we are less than a month away from the 2 yr statute of limitations...

I just feel like smacking him...

now if he would say $2,000 on the nose..that would be better...thats a li'l over 1/2 and I'd be happy

Get an attorney! Trust me, it may take longer to settle but it will let the Insurance Company know they can't bully you. I have had to sue 3 times for accidents that were not my fault. It was well worth the wait to get settled.

Quote:
This sounds rediculously similar to what I went through 4 years ago. Rear ended while stopped at a stop light about four cars back from the light. She hit me so hard I rearended the car infront of mine. My car, which I bought new, was paid off completely only a couple months before.

I lost huge wages, had just accepted a new job at $19.00/hr and had quit my old job. My dog training business was booming, and the new job allowed me to only work two days a week-- the rest of the time I could spend building my company. Long story short I lost 85% of my dog training and 100% of my new job.

I was hurt, but not super bad. Was on a 10 pound weight lift restriction for two years, whiplash and some nerve damage, range of motion decreased, ect, ect. No broken bones. She plowed into me at 40 MPH.

Before I retained a lawyer I met with her insurance company which was Farmers. The agent whom I met with, while just doing his job, was as slimey as you can imagine. This was just before Christmas and he offered me $700. He said "because times are tough and you could go do something really nice for you and your husband, might as well take the cash because its our final offer." I was so ticked off.

We lost our house due to this accident. I lost a ton of business and have not recovered financially from this. Took two different lawyers and four years to get our settlement. If I had gotten what I deserved in lost wages and business I would have been awarded close to $100K, but I got significantly less than that. I will say though them money we did get has been super helpful, though, like I said we did lose our home. We're renters again..but so be it.

Bottom line: Get yourself a lawyer.

Since they were at fault, a part of YOUR insurance is tha they are supposed to fight for you! Contact them.

Also, provide the other company with a spreadsheet listing all your lost wages, medical bills, expenses directly related to the accident (for example, if you could not drive, and had to pay for taxicabs to get to the grocery, or household help becuase you were incapacitated, etc. Include those. Do not gouge--if you've always had maid service, don;t include, if you had it for a couple of months after the accident, DO; likewise for other expenses.

Write them and send your letter certified with a return receipt requested. Check the statute of limitations--it probably does not go into affect if you are fighting for what you are owed--only if you have made no claim. BUT DO VERIFY that with an arrotney.

You're right. It doesn't seem fair but if you'd be ok with 2000 I would call and tell them that and try to settle between the 1750 and 2000. Lawyers cost and who wants to litigate over a difference of $250? Sonoran Silkies gave good advice to contact YOUR insurance co., unless of course it's the same one.
hmm.png

Quote:
A lot of attorneys will take these cases on and only charge you if they lose, if they win the other insurance company will be responsible for payment or they take a percentage of your settlement. I still got more than I would have even after the attorneys part if I had not used an attorney. There is also loss of value on your vehicle to be considered as well, i.e. your vehicle is worth less now, no matter how well it was fixed, than before the accident.

Back
Top Bottom