Just as it starts to get cold in WV - Broody - Can I move her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MIKE555444, Oct 5, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Well as shocked as I was I noticed my 26 week old new pullet starting to show signs of broody. Clucking a lot, "calling" around the food, and not very friendly to the other hens. She did that for a week or so and then claimed her nest this weekend. If she is still stead on the nest today I am going to put fertile eggs under her [​IMG]

I am thinking about putting up a small divider fence around her and her nest in the coop with food and water. I have large breeds(mostly BO) and I'm afraid 2 or three of them on the nest might damage her hatching eggs. Of course she picked a center nest to make this even more difficult lol.

Potential problems with baby chicks this time of year?

Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. MIKE555444

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Also... If I move her to a different nest and "section it off" will I break her broody?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    These treads might help. I've never moved a broody so I don't have any experience with that, but I do believe keeping her out of bright sunlight does improve your odds.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

How to move a broody hen
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=162759

As far as problems with the chicks, the hen can and will keep them warm. I really don't see any problems not present at other times of the year.

This probably won't help you, but this shows how I sectioned off my nesting boxes and provided a space for a broody to stay on her original nest. All I have to do is block off the entrance and pull the board out of the correct slot. I can access that middle section from the back to put food and water in there.

[​IMG]

4. MIKE555444

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Quote:Thanks Ridgerunner

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by