Just became a member of BYC! Hellooooooooo

Casco Bay Chicks

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2021
My family lives on a small island off from the coast of Maine. While growing up, I always loved our chickens as well as all animals. Now in 60's my husband and I ordered 14 day old chicks a year ago. Recently, I was delighted to see that one of our Plymouth Rock hens was Broody. She has been sitting on several eggs for approx. 3wks. now and not only has she been pooping on the eggs, ( from reading different forums on this website, I know that it's not uncommon), 3 eggs have exploded and smell HORRIBLE! Tonight I tried to Candle several of the eggs, but they were so covered in poo that it was impossible to do so. Also, I saw several minute maggots crawling on some of the eggs! We have a very active mating Rooster, so I'm quite sure that the eggs are fertile. Our hen seems to really want to be a mother, (time will tell) and we really want to increase our flock. I'm just not sure what to do about the nesting conditions. 2 days ago, I lightly/carefully cleaned all of the eggs and put down new nesting material and tonight, I found the above conditions. I wish I had kept track of the day she began sitting on the eggs, but I'm sure it's been at least 21 days. If the eggs do hatch, I would hate for the chicks to be born in such conditions. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I would get her off the nest and check her over thoroughly for fly strike. She may be in serious trouble. I would thoroughly clean her up and examine her. If she's okay, hit her with a blow dryer and bring her back to the nest. You've done what you could to clean up the nest. Now it's mom's turn.
This is one of the other reasons I like to remove my broody girls from the nest each morning: to ensure they leave the nest to poop, eat, drink and dust bathe. I also candle all eggs I give her to hatch and candle again at 7 and 14 days to check for duds and quitters.
Good luck with the hatch.

Welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry for your troubles. I've had this same problem with a couple of my bodies in the past.
I have a year old rooster, one of two surviving chicks from a nasty nest. He is physically developmentally challenged. I've kept him as part of the flock out of guilt, I suppose, and now because I like him. He doesn't breed.
I have learned that some of my girls are great moms but terrible incubators/ hatchers, so I incubate their chicks and then, hand them over for them to raise.
This doesn't help with your current situation, but it may prepare you to deal with the fallout. A nasty nest may yield chicks that die at hatch and surviving chicks may be healthy or not.
Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom