Just bought my first chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andrew273, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Andrew273

Andrew273 New Egg

Apr 10, 2009
    So today I went to a local animal supply place to look at dog grooming supplies when I happened to see about 10 big bins filled with baby chicks. The animal addicted enthusiest in me decided to give in and now I have 3 baby chicks. They are absolutely adorable.

I bought (all girls) a Rhode Island Red, an Ameraucana, and a Barred Rock. I came home with a very good idea for a setup and now after reading a ton online I have to ask... Are they really this easy to care for?!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They are great. A little labor intensive when they are younger but with only three... piece of cake when they are hens.

Congratulations! You are going to want more... Make a BIG coop!

By the Way?
    [​IMG]

3. emilyweck

emilyweck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    That is great news! I just brought my EE pullets home today and it's a little strange to think I have chickens out back in the coop. I've been a city slicker my entire life and just recently got into gardening and chickens since I have a large piece of property.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on their progress! I have RIR's coming tomorrow and have heard they are great layers! I also have some Easter Eggers. They were advertised as Ameraucana's, but clearly aren't. They still may lay the greenish blue eggs, though. Sounds like we chose the same...Happy chick raising:)

4. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Yay! Congratulations on your new chickies. They're a bit of work at the start but that doesn't last long - we just got our first chicks in mid-January and they've successfully made the transition to our backyard about a month ago . . . they grow up so fast!
    [​IMG]

5. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    Yep your gonna find that you want a ton of chickens even if you only neeeed a egg a day [​IMG]

6. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    happy to have you [​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member