Just bought some wild pullets and a roo, do I stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mkhenderson17, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    So I went to pick up a few Americana and Araucana hens yester and just planned on getting 2..... yeah everyone knows how that goes.....These people had so many crammed in a horribly muddy coop I felt bad so I got 4 (2 of each) AND a Araucana rooster. These Girls, and roo, were hardly ever handled and when they were, it was not super nice. After they settled in I went in and sat in their quarantine pen with them to see how they would react and 2 girls n the roo were fine but r of the girls were terrified. When I held everyone, they all calmed down except one, she kept biting me.
    They are so gross and muddy (well the mud is poop) but they seem like they just need some tlc.

Im kinda worried about the roo, he seems nice but his brother attacked me and he was only 4mts...so far with this guy, so good though.
    Has anyone had any dealings with a Araucana rooster?

I plan on doing this a few times a day every day until they come around, do you guys think this will work? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

2. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Songster

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Good luck [​IMG]
    a little TLC and they will be better [​IMG]
    they just need to understand you won't hurt them i guess [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Patience and lots of hand fed treats will probably do the trick. [​IMG]

4. annep

annep Songster

Mar 4, 2011
    I am in the same situation..I need to handle them more...My EE is so afraid, I cannot get near her!

5. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    After they get use to you and see you are no threat they should calm down.

6. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    A good coop, treats, lots of space, a nice place to dustbathe... that should be all you need to create a chicken paradise for the fuzzy butts.

7. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Songster

Sep 8, 2010
    I just got home n found my favorite (and smallest) dead [​IMG] She had me worried from the beginning cuz she was so small for her age and sounded raspy when she breathed, and a bumb leg. I had all of them on Antibiotics but I guess the stress was just 2 much for the poor girl. At least she died in a CLEAN dry pen with plenty of room to move (4 1/2 sq ft pee bird [​IMG]) compared to being stepped on all the time. She seemed happy and comfy too. poor girl

The others are 100% fine, still are going to b in quarantine for a month. There was another little one stuck in that coop, looked in better shape than the one that died, Just cant decided if I wanna go back n save her...only $5 but idk....any suggestions???[​IMG] I just feel really bad for them...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: