Just cleaned out my coop from winter, there must be an easier way.

Quote:
I have a Polaris Ranger 800 with the dump bed and a snow plow. I think I would almost trade my truck before I would trade the Ranger. It has saved me so much time on cleaning the coops and the barn.
thumbsup.gif

Deep litter coops shouldn't be stinky. That's usually a sign that it needs more shavings added, unless you have some type of water leak. If you aren't ever noticing any smell during the year, but it's stinky and nasty when you dig it out, it means that you didn't add enough shavings to the litter during the year. Try adding more and see how that goes, if you want to work at it until you succeed. Every coop has different management needs, depending on stocking levels and the local climate. Sometimes it takes a little while for people to learn the rhythms of their coop and how to manage the litter. I didn't get it quite right the first year, either.

No one needs to use deep litter, but if it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean it can't work for you. It just means that you needed to do things a little differently. There's nothing wrong with making a different choice, either. We all have preferences in how we like to do things.

We have an 8 x 10 coop. I designed the coop to have a door wide enough for my large garden cart to roll through. That makes scooping out the far end quicker and less tiring, since I don't have to walk back to the door for every shovel full. I also chose a cart that's well balanced. The wheels carry most of the load. I just tip it slightly to roll it. That's been fantastic for carrying heavier loads when doing other jobs, too. It tips like a wheel barrow, to dump it.

If you want to do quick clean-ups more often, have you thought about poop boards or pans under the roost? Some people put sand under the roosts, too. That can be easier to clean than shavings. You could do a sand box under there.

Quote:
I have a Polaris Ranger 800 with the dump bed and a snow plow. I think I would almost trade my truck before I would trade the Ranger. It has saved me so much time on cleaning the coops and the barn.
thumbsup.gif

Ah....now I get it! I have a golf cart with a bed on the back!!! I cannot tell you what all I use it for. Has a place to attach a wagon, and I have a wagon but not with the right attachment. DH will be home soon and that will be on the honey do list on the fridge for him, along with motion lights by the coops and runs....huge, big lights!

I have been using the deep liter method. My coops are made from the tin from the roof of an old barn that fell down. When we built it we dug out and put the tin on the bottom down into the ground. That has helped with water getting in there until the last few weeks and all the rain we have had. I was just getting ready to clean out the coops when the rains started. After two weeks of this hard rain with no relief it has really been bad in the coops. I got one cleaned out and hope to get the other tomorrow. However, I have to say that the chickens have made what I thought was going to be a bad job turn out to not be so bad! They have turned the entire thing over with their digging and scratching! It will be much easier to get out now. I am going to, planning to add sand this time before putting in the bedding. Just as an added layer.

I wish I had a snow shovel....that makes a little more sense to me than just a shovel. AND for you fancy rig owners....my little golf cart will back right up to the door of the coop! Seriously it was really cheap....only $1500 and it was used but still in great shape. It is gas powered and we only have to put gas in it every three months or so. I haul everything in it....just ready for the little red wagon to be attached also for more hauling room! It was not what I wanted but it has been so enjoyable to have! I haul all my feed in it to the coops and hay and trash to the dumpster. And the plus side is the grandgirls can drive it...with me yelling at them! Pay attention!!

The smell....never a problem until right when it was time to clean it out.....then the rain made it worse. After two days with no rain it is not that bad now. I am however really looking forward to getting it cleaned out and new bedding put in so it smells fresh! Bet the chickens are ready too.....thank goodness for good ventalation.

I muck out my poultry barn twice a year the same way you'd muck out a horse's stall! A big wheelbarrow, pitchfork and shovel, and it all gets dumped and spread on the garden beds throughout my property.

I use a deep litter method, so I leave the bottom few inches and put a lot of fresh pine shavings on top, then when I do the daily cleaning I just take off the top inch or two of shavings and throw a couple inches of fresh shavings on top. Easy.

It's really not so bad that 2X/year cleanout. It's kind of cathartic! And I bought a shopvac to get the cobwebs and dust, too.

Back
Top Bottom