Just Clucking Around

apgreen79

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 3, 2014
Joelton, TN
So this is my chick journey. It all started about 4-5 months ago. I decided I wanted to raise chickens. I'd like to accomplish 3 things: A) Eggs, B) Meat, C) Income from my chickens.

I thought no big deal, right. I grew up around chickens. Even remeber chasing little babies then running like mad so the momma hen wouldn't catch me with her baby
D.gif
. But I was in for a big surprise. I have been simply amazed at the extent some people will go to for their chickens. Not to mention all the care that goes into chickens now. Heck, all we had when I was a kid was chicken pens, and we kept the Roosters tied up. I'd go out with my Grandfather everyday to feed them (I thought it was fun), water them and that was it. No special/fancy coops, or runs. We just let them run around.

For years I thought chickens were just that, chickens, I never realized there were different breeds as I only knew of the chickens we had. We didn't buy them from TSC, we traded with locals, had no clue what a TSC was. We'd buy our feed from the local Co-Op. And the only water our chickens ever got was the kind that came from a hose. There was no special stuff to put in the chicks water either.

Now when I grew up I never once thought about raising my own flock until I was in my early 30's and saw those cute little boogers in a TSC. And me being me thought the chicks they sell at TSC were the same ones I grew up with. So I didn't want any. Well they ended up being snuck in by the spouse as an early easter gift for the kiddos. My immediate reaction was "What are we gonna do with those?"
barnie.gif
Needless to say I was more than reluctant to have chickens. I didn't want to deal with them. When the spouse realized it was work keeping chicks and caring for them we agreed that we needed to find a home for them. We had no ammenities for them (Coop) and couldn't build one. We called some friends up and gave them the chicks and everything that we had for them. The main problem was that we was living on a rental property and it didn't make sense to spend money only to have to leave any structure/fencing behind when we moved.

To make a long story short after years of struggling to keep our home we lost it early last year
hit.gif
. The bank said pay up or move out, so we freaked and moved to a rental property of a family friends'. After months of trying to find solutions we were finally able to get the help we needed to save our home. Two weeks before Christmas we moved back to our home.
yesss.gif
Once we got our home back I told the spouse that I wanted some chickens come spring. Soon after some friends of ours decided to move away and couldn't take their chickens with them so they offered their 2 pullets (RIR) to us along with all the belongings for them. We said yes since we were wanting chickens anyway.

Fast forward a few months and we love, love love our chickens. They are so entertaining and such a joy to have. At this point I told the spouse that I wanted to get some baby chicks. The first thing I did was get on TSC's website to see what kind of chicks they have and when they have them. Then I thought "I wonder if I there is a website that I can read up on chickens and find a good breed for me?"

And thats when I found out about BYC and hatcheries. I had no idea there was hatcheries.
wee.gif

So after reading up on several different breeds I settled on two breeds to start with. I placed my order and patiently waited for 2 months. I started reading the forums (which took a while to figure out because I had never been on a forum). I was overwhelmed with all the information on here to say the least. I engorged myself with what I needed to do to get ready for the chicks.The week before my chicks were scheduled to arrive I Got the brooder ready and set up. Made sure that I was able to maintain a good temp for them. By then I only had 2 days left before the chicks big arrival. I was itching for the chicks be then and wanted so bad to just go buy some from TSC. But I had 26 chicks coming, so I held out.
Well it was not meant for us to have those chicks because we had ice and snow delivered to us via old man winter the day before the were supposed to arrive. Due to the weather USPS returned the chicks to the hatchery since they couldn't get them on the plane. I was freaking out for about a day and a half, because the shiping info showed that the chicks did fly out, but that was it. And for an entire day no one seemed to know where they were. We went to the post office twice to see if they were there, called the hatchery to see if they could find out where they were, called USPS customer service to complain about the lack of information. I was giving that poor lady a hard time and she was very polite and understanding to my concerns. About an hour later the hatchery called to let me know that they had the chicks and they were all alive and healthy. We scheduled a later delivery date and I was waiting yet again......

We recieved our chicks without any issues alive and healthy on our second attempt
jumpy.gif
. I was however surprised to see 27 chicks but I'm not complaining, they are way too cute! After seeing how quickly chicks grow I am going to take a pic everyday of each breed and post it so I can see how they grow each day.

Will post pics tomorrow for Days 1, 2, 3

Here are some pics Some came out fuzzy for some reason..... lesson learned
I really need to work on my picture taking abilities.

This is a few minutes after arrival. They were hatched on 3-7-14 so they were 4 days old. This how they were packed in the box.

This is their brooder. I built a screen to go over the top, but for picture purposes I took it off.
The brooder is a 4ft x 4ft and 47" deep. I originally built it from pallets as a raised planter, but decided to use it for my brooder instead of building one. As you can see there is a vinyl christmas table cloth in there. I did this for two reasons. A) Prevent anything from leaking. B) come cleanup all I have to do is remove the chicks place them in a box and grab the corners of the table cloth to remove all the shavings at once. Then replace and refill. It seems to working out great so far.

Below are all 27 chicks making themselves at home in their brooder. I laid newspaper over the shavings for the first day so they'd eat they're food and not the shavings.

Here is one of the Buff Orpington at 4 days old

Ancona at 4 days old

I'm told this is a Barred Rock (the free rare chick) at 4 days old.

Buff Orpington 5 Days Old

Ancona 5 Days Old

Barred Rock at 5 days

Last edited:
I have found that it's not so much planning as it is knowledge. I have found that I procrastinate, so I try to do enough research to get me started and then I dive in.
That way I'm forcing myself to commit.
Besides if you're already tending to that many chickens you already know everything you need to.
I really wish the mobile app had emoticons, cause I'd like to use them.

I was thinking about chickens for years before I got them. Didn't know how to make everything "just right." Planned longer about getting chickens than we planned for our children! (Well, technically we didn't plan those.) One day I just stopped at the feed store & got 4 chicks. Surprised my hubby, that's for sure!

Then I drove to my friend's house to borrow a heat lamp, feeder, etc. Got home & set up a brooder. Told hubby we had a few weeks to light the fire under us & get a pen built.

During those weeks I went on a mission trip to Nicaragua. Saw chickens roaming free & surviving. Living in a little lean-to & surviving. Hanging out in the yard & surviving. You get the idea.

so when I got home I felt like all the pressure was off. There is no "perfect." Start somewhere & change what doesn't work as you go along. They're pretty resiliant. And if they don't make it, learn from your mistakes. They're also pretty cheap. Or should I say cheep?

A roost question. I know I can ask this is a different thread, but I figured we are already here, right? I need to add some roosts in my coop. Since I am a cheapskate, my options are (because the are free) 1"x1" square wood or 1" outside diameter PVC. I may be able to add two of the square wood 1x1's together if ya'll think that's best.

What do you think?

I personally would use one 1x1 as the roost. And use the other one for supports. Depending on the length. Or there may be a sag when you get chickens on it.

As far as the PVC. I wouldn't use it because when it gets moist it would be slippery. ANC if it's slippery they won't get on it.

You can combine the 1x1's to make a 2x2. But before I started cutting and screwing if do a weight test. Hang something from it to see how it holds up.

Wow, what a story!

I'm so glad you got your house back, and I'm so glad you are now a chicken obsessor!

Can't wait for the photos. What breeds did you get?
smile.png

Thank You Very Much "cstronks".
I have read so many stories on here that it inspired me document my own journey as well.

Arauacana16

I have the 2 Rhode Island Red pullets we acquired from our friends, then the spouse thinking he knew what he was doing went and bought what he thought was 4 Dominique pullets, and a rooster. However we ended up with 3 dominique roo's and 2 pullets
Chicks:Buff Orpington's (for the broodiness), Anconas (because they lay white eggs), 1 what appears to be a Barred Rock (free rare chick),

and if I add them all up I have

34 chickens total
yippiechickie.gif

It looks like I will be culling my first chicken today.
Two actually...
It's not because they are mean or anything. We simply have too many Roos and they are wearing the hens out. So the time has arrived to find out weather or not I'll actually be able to cull on of my chickens.
Wish me luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom