Just cooked up my first cornish x and it was delicious!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by steveo, May 18, 2009.

1. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    We started butchering our birds this weekend and this was our first time raising the cornish x. We cooked one up that was about 5 pounds and it was a very tasty bird. I just put 3 more in the freezer and have one more in the refrigerator for later in the week. After this weekend we should have another 11 in the freezer so we should have plenty of chicken until we do our next batch.

2. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

sweet--I've got a dark cornish in the bator that my husband can't wait to fatten up!!

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    That's some extra good chicken when you've done it all yourself!

Congrats!!

4. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I'm glad to hear that! I keep looking at the eight I have in the baby pen and think...I'm never doing this again. My other chickens are so cute...and these are just little gluttons. I know this means more meat (or fat) for us but right now I'm not liking them very much.

5. Rolsjo

Rolsjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    Maine
    Well, deb, I for one am glad to hear that. We just got a batch of 25 Cornish X Rocks today and they are just the cutest little things. Our kids said, "How can we eat these adorable chicks?" I told them we won't be eating any of the adorable chicks. We'll wait until they are all grown up and by then they'll be ready, and willing, to eat them up. I'm glad to see you agree!

6. codybird

codybird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Near Myrtle Beach
    Did you figure out a less stressfull processing method? From your other post.

7. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congratulations! Glad you were pleased with your efforts. We finished processing the last of our 30 Cornish on Saturday, let them sit in ice water overnight, and vaccuum sealed them into bags on Sunday.

We're already planning for our next batch that we'll probably start in two weeks.

Was this your first time processing your own birds?

8. steveo

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Quote:I figure it will be less stressful after I build myself a plucker but for now I will scald a little longer and pluck the last 11 by hand.

9. steveo

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Quote:Yes this was my first time processing my own birds and I learned that hand plucking is no fun lol.

10. Kali

Kali Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    North Plains
    I actually enjoy hand plucking... it's like the calm before the storm for me. Storm = gutting. Our first chicken we ate was a bit stringy, especially in the dark meat. I don't think we let it sit long enuf (24hrs) before cooking. The last 4 we processed over the weekend are brining so should be super moist and tender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by