Just couldn't euthanize it.....

fowlwoman1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Wenatchee, WA
I've got this 2 day old chick with really bad leg spraddle. it seems to be genetic because it came out of the shell looking like its hips were way up on its sides. but anyway, i tried tying its legs together, but it doesn't do anything but sleep anyway. it's obviously just not healthy and probably won't live long. it doesn't make attempts to eat or drink. so i was looking at it tonight, watching it just lay there and chirp every once in a while, and thought i should just put it down. someone had mentioned using starter fluid as it has ether in it. so i sprayed for several seconds onto a rag and put it in a gladware dish, cuddled the chickie and put him in and sealed the lid. that chickie was NOT happy. i was under the impression that it would just suffocate and peacefully die. i tried to wait it out, thinking it would be rather short, but i probably had it in there for 30 seconds and it was still fighting it. poor thing. so i just couldn't stand it anymore and i snatched off the lid and am still holding the sweet thing. it is the only buff ee out of the 8 eggs that hatched and it is so pretty. i don't want to let go of the poor thing. i want to try harder to save it. a couple of months ago i had a chick that had leg problems who died after a week and a half. i didn't want to do that again. i thought i was getting tough enough to put it out of its misery, but i guess not.

Oh, don't give up.
hugs.gif
We just recently had a chick hatch in much the same way as you described, and she has pulled out of her funk and is doing fine, despite the high-set hips.
smile.png

Don't feel to bad...

(Confession time, please do NOT read further if you are upset about chicks dieing)

The second time we got chicks (straight run) about 80% were roos... By the time they were about 8 weeks and were starting to crow we decided we did not have enough room for that many roosters, so we decided to do a mass kill...

So I researched and found the starter fluid method. We took a small box and I put 4 roos in it and emptied half a bottle of starter fluid. 10 minutes later I opened the box and they were all dead. It worked, and was not painful, so we did it with the other 4 chicks, and I left the box sitting in the garage overnight. Next morning I found one of the chicks had lived!

I felt so horrible!
sad.png
But needless to say we had a rooster, he had spraddled legs, and had been the one to always be picked on, but as he survived we kept him, named him Stupid, and he lived for anouther 2 years, most of that time in a tree in our yard as he escaped the coop and would not let us catch him (go figure...) Eventually we didn't see him near the hens anymore (he would waddle over every day to see them) and that day we found some feathers near the tree... Poor Stupid...

But the important thing is that the reason that starter fluid works is that it is ether... You are ODing them on an anesthesia, so they will go to sleep... But even with the amount we put in Stupid's box he lived fine with no lung problems...

But if you think you need to try again, use something with a lid, the smaller the better....

((Now I bet no one here will like me anymore...))

I think you did the most humane way of putting them at peace that you could. It was a peaceful way to go if they must. Just going to sleep is gentler then a lot of other ways that use sharp utensils. I know that it is something that must be done and I do not admonish anyone who has to do it. They are much stronger then I am, I just could not do that , I am too much a softey. I don't hate you for it , you did what you needed to.

Caring sucks sometimes I guess

I have read alot about this lately and it does seem the most humane way.
Im sure you will spoil your little fighter
wink.png

HMK Im sure no one will hate you for what you had to do!

FowlWoman1 - I really respect that you tried to put the poor thing out of it's suffering.
hugs.gif
Don't feel bad. I'm just sorry it did not go well. I'm praying the little chick will be ok - or that you will be able to successfully put it down without any more trauma to it or you.

I had a little 4 day old chick that was dying and I knew I should have ended it, but I was not as brave as you. It still really bothers me that I let it suffer until it died on it's own. I feel really badly about that.

Please let us know how the chick is doing now.

Penny

Back
Top Bottom