Just culled my first chicken...

Dont beat yourself up. There was a small chance she would get better. Thats why you held on. But when you saw it was beyond that, you did what you had to do.
I am not sure I could be so brave.
hugs.gif

The first chicken I culled was hard for me, not so hard for the chicken I hope. Managed to get quite good at it as my first flock of Hylines aged and became too frail to survive.
I had to dispatch dear old Brownie last weekend and realized I might have lost my touch, so I reread the technique before I did it.
It's always tough, isn't it.

awww - I'm sorry for your pain. You did the right thing...made me cry, but if one of my little darlin's were suffering I am pretty sure I could mercifully cull her...would hurt me to do it more than it would hurt her, but sometimes you have to do the right thing even if you feel bad about it.
hugs.gif

Aw... if you'd done it earlier you'd be feeling bad about having not given her more of a chance, I bet. It's a no-win situation, you did what seemed reasonable at the time and to me it sounds like you did WELL. It's always hard.

Big hug,

Pat

thumbsup.gif
Good for you, for your brave & unselfish act. You ignored your own discomfort for the sake of your bird. It's often difficult to know just when is the exact right moment to cull. If you do it too soon you wonder if they really could have gotten better if you'd only given them more time & care. If you do it too late you wonder if you let them suffer longer than necessary.

But at least you did it, with care & wisdom, and she's suffering no longer. It's a good reminder to every chicken keeper to have a method in mind for exactly how they plan to cull an injured or ailing chicken. You don't want to wait until they're writhing in pain to do your research. (I know that's not what you did, you used wisdom in reading about it first, you didn't let your bird suffer needlessly).

hugs.gif
& hopes for better tomorrows.

Back
Top Bottom