just curios

I'll have to look it up if I can remember who did it in the first place...
smile.png

Howdy Ya'll ~
smile.png

I have a diaper wearing Silkie named Fancie that is still getting resigned to getting up in the morning and putting on a poopy pouch for the day. When we first started this she was very indignent and let me know her feelings. . .
D.gif

I learned about it on the HouseChicken board and then one of the members gave me some helpful hints on the technology involved.

The pouch contains a sandwich bag to hold the poops. To make it fit well I fold and tape it into shape, and then tape it into place in the bag. (I use plenty of masking tape).

For two days now I powdered the bag and tape (with baking soda) to avoid the slight sticking to her fluffy feathers. It made it more pleasant for her to wear.

That arraingement is secured with safty pins.

It takes less time to make it up and put it on her then to tell you how it's done.

At night, I take it off and clean her bottom, because every day she has some loose stool. Again with the indignant squawk. I find it easier to trim the effected feathers.

I am so very sold on this method, it took me a couple of weeks to get it right, but now it is simple. It helps that Fancie puts up with it now instead of fighting it. As my chosen chicks grow up, I intend to supply them with diapers also.

And I have read about housetraining them. I know they can be trained to poop on paper, in a litter box, and even in the toilet. I am considering getting a child's training toilet and using that. (I have too many loose papers and my cats would try to use the chickens box. The training toilet would stay in the living room.)

Good Luck with your good ideas and write me about what you do.

PS I am really pleased with the diaper when I take her places, and it is absolutely priceless to introduce my pet diaper-wearing chicken to folks.

cool.png

Wendy
SooperDooper Coops

Thanks, TucsonFrizzled,
I stuck myself countless times with the safety pins on the chicken diaper-ouch!
...they can be trained to poop on paper, in a litter box, and even in the toilet. I am considering getting a child's training toilet and using that...The training toilet would stay in the living room.)

I'm picturing my big Jersey Giant rooster on that child's toilet right now
ep.gif
He would love to come stay inside more but he will need the big people's toilet. Hmmmm, there's only one bathroom in my house, I reckon DH will have me committed if I let a rooster use that throne.
Stephanie​

ChaRmy--the chicken diaper site will be up again on May 26th. I don't remember what I paid--it was 4 years ago--but I'll guess around $8 apiece then. The sandwich bags that you use are the extra-cheap variety that don't have the zip-lock top.

What breed is your chicken? If you have a Silkie, it will be easy to diaper her, especially if you start diapering her early. The diapers definitely keep the poop off the furniture and carpet, so its worth it in that respect.
Stephanie

Howdy Ya'll ~
big_smile.png

My order was two months ago for an almost grown Silkie and was $11.00 and shipping.

I submitted the measurements and was asked if the garment should be made to fit her as she completed filling out into a full-grown adult. (Yes)

Fancie is bright white and her first diaper is blue gingham and is adorable. It sets off her peacock blue earlobes.

I wash it out in the sink at night using Dawn with Bleach. We have been using the same poopy pouch for about a month and a half and it isn't stained or anything. I don't know how much credit for non staining goes to the Dawn with Bleach and how much goes to the selection of fabric.

Ruth had a stalker scare after I ordered, and this time down may be to get a vacation or because of them needing to implement higher security.

love.gif
If you order from Ruth, please let her know that I recommend her service and how happy I am with Fancie's garment. I intend to purchase another from her soon.

cool.png

Wendy

I wanna say that I spent $17 for the two of mine. Slifer got basic black which matched her muzzle and leash and Obelisk got lavender printed flowers which matched her leash.
I read about Ruth's troubles which just sucks...

I have a bantam 4 week old thats y im so interested I thought get her used to it while shes young.
Oh and when you say leash does that mean for a chook??? I'd love some lil acseories for her i've seen pictures of the little ducks that get dressed up and it's so cute but if theres a leash well i could take my nappy wearing chook out on walks lol how funny

Back
Top Bottom