Just curious...how many of you have air-conditioned coops????

Here in Maine....I dont think there is a need for AC! Now a heater maybe...I am insulating my coop with 1/2 blue board and plan on giving them a heated water dish along with a heat lamp and I am also going to line their whole coop outside with bales to keep their floor warm along with 5" or more of shavings.

As for our summers..they have two screened in windows..and somtimes I cover them up at night when it dips below 50-60 degrees.

Did I mention that i LOVE Maine?!
ya.gif

No need here in Florida. We make the "coops" of chicken wire on three sides with a solid back, good roof and lattice work on each end to keep out rain. The important thing is to locate them in a relatively shady spot with access to some sun. The air blows through and they stay plenty cool. They have a courtyard in front of their pens and we let them all out into that during the day with their coop door open in case of rain. We've had some pretty hot days and I've never seen them panting at all. I think the direct sun is the biggest culprit for heat issues.

Air conditioned coop? We don't even have air conditioning in the house. .... as I sit here with the temp literally at 101 degrees outside!! I'm sweating on the keyboard. Thank goodness it's dry heat - we seldom have high humidity.

no ac just a fan that has a temp sensor so it goes off at night when it cools off. they like it they fight over who gets to sit directly under it.

Last edited:
Hey Chirpy, you must be in the cooler part of Colorado. It's 104 here today. Just added vits & electrolytes to the chooks water. Have a fan in 2 of the coops and let the other two coops out to free range in the shade. This has got to let up or I'll start losing girls. I have insulated coops so I hope that helps some.

There's only one small window unit inside our house... and my husband's the only one that uses it when he sleeps his 6 hrs during the day. I've got a fan in my kitchen window, but other than that, we just marinate in the heat. I'll stick a small fan in the barn to keep the air circulating, but NO WAY IN HECK would I put a/c in a chicken coop. That's crazy.
lol.png

LoneCowboy - yes, it's soo much cooler out here on the plains. I may just have to go put a jacket on!
gig.gif

We are fortunate that we've had a great strong breeze all day today which has helped. I put a large tarp over the top of the run for the chickens and goats also. I also like to spray the run down with cold water... the chickens love to scratch around and dirt/mud bathe in that damp ground.

Back
Top Bottom