Just Curious to Know

Scott Abrahamson

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2017
Hi all, I'm a new chicken owner and my two girls seem to make funny little noises when I come out to check on them during the night.
To me it feels like they're saying hello or hey what's up. Am I just reading into this or do chooks actually develop a bond with their owners? I've only had them for over a week and it didn't take long for them to settle in and make the yard their home. Either way, they make me smile so I'm glad to have them as part of the family

It's probably a combination of saying- What's happening? It's bedtime! and Who's there?

I don't know if they develop an 'I love you' bond like humans and dogs do, but my small flock does recognize when I come outside- they all make loud 'feed me!' noises :) When I go into the run, they will follow me around and hop up onto my lap and shoulders. If they are expecting treats or if they genuinely like spending time with me I may not know, but they do recognize me. So I think some kind of 'bond' is formed, but it may not necessarily be the kind of bond that humans form.

Chickens do not have human emotions.....They are voicing your intrusion into the coop when they are going to bed...Chickens are master manipulators, always looking for hand outs.....I hardly ever give my Birds treats....They still all come running to me just incase I might have something for them....Silly Birds...

Back
Top Bottom