Just curious who else is living super frugal

Summer squash I freeze mostly, almost every tomato based sauce or soup I make I put squash in so if it is mush it doesn't matter. I also julliene cut by zuchs and freeze them in baggies for my spaghetti noodles (I am allergic to gluten). I dehydrate them as a sweet snack (coat in powdered sugar and cinnimon) also savory w/ savory seasonings, I haven't tried this yet, but this year I am going to can it straight into the sauces I make (mexican, spaghetti etc)

You need to blanche zucchinis for 2-3 minutes before freezing. I grate mine, cook 1lb with a handful of chopped green beans, drain and mix in a tin of sweetcorn (cream style), 150g grated cheese, 150ml self raise flour, some thyme and 5 med/large eggs. Bake at 350-360 degrees for about an hour. Very nice and the frozen zucchini works as well as fresh zucchini in this dish.
I recently read Barbara Kingsolver's book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". It has great recipes and ideas for preserving food.

My wife does a wonderful job of making the most of one income. She works it so we sock away a lot for retirement. We really don't do without, but we don't require much. Just open space and our animals.

Summer squash and zucchini, I have frozen them both without blanching for many years. I grate the zucchini in 2 cups portions and freeze when I pull it out to use it I make it into bread and has worked great for me for 20 years +. Sometimes will throw it into sauce for spagetti or into the lasagna or chili. Only after reading this thread did I ever consider that it needed to be blanched! Learn something new everyday! One time I made zucchini dill pickles, canned, of course.

Summer squash and zucchini, I have frozen them both without blanching for many years.  I grate the zucchini in 2 cups portions and freeze when I pull it out to use it I make it into bread and has worked great for me for 20 years +.  Sometimes will throw it into sauce for spagetti or into the lasagna or chili. Only after reading this thread did I ever consider that it needed to be blanched!  Learn something new everyday!  One time I made zucchini dill pickles, canned, of course.

That sounds good. I hope I our garden gets cooking soon.

Summer squash and zucchini, I have frozen them both without blanching for many years.  I grate the zucchini in 2 cups portions and freeze when I pull it out to use it I make it into bread and has worked great for me for 20 years +.  Sometimes will throw it into sauce for spagetti or into the lasagna or chili. Only after reading this thread did I ever consider that it needed to be blanched!  Learn something new everyday!  One time I made zucchini dill pickles, canned, of course.

That sounds good. I hope I our garden gets cooking soon.

Canning canning canning!! My girlfriend has a Sams club membership, so we went there and got some things. There prices on meat are fair, but not a steal. And they not take coupons, which is stupid to me. Oh well. Great place to get some of the basics.

Canning canning canning!! My girlfriend has a Sams club membership, so we went there and got some things. There prices on meat are fair, but not a steal. And they not take coupons, which is stupid to me. Oh well. Great place to get some of the basics.

BJ's takes coupons, that have their own and they take manufacture coupons- if you are getting a bundle of three 12 oz of whatever and have three manufacture's coupons for 12 oz you can use all three.

Coupons, freebies and Sam's club are my usual methods. Now I have chickens, ducks and turkeys, one heck of a garden and a cattle farmer across the road. I make jelly and bread, sell it at the farm market. My BF is the only one working right now, so we do what we have to to get by.
I started really cutting back after BF was diagnosed with cancer... the bills from that alone are enough to choke a horse!!
We are doing good with it though, living off the land and staying afloat...... for now.

Back
Top Bottom