1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just curious who else is living super frugal

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, May 17, 2011.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Mojave Desert
    Quote:A very nice heritage indeed!

2. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
    OK my wonderfully frugal friends!
    I am out of dish soap (not washer detergent, just soap) and cant get any until the weekend. Any suggestions on making my own solution from stuff I have on hand (baking soda, washing soda, borax, fels naptha, vinegar etc)?

3. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    The wife sure has been taking advantage of Walmarts new price matching on groceries.

4. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    Been living frugal for years... Times are tough and its amazing how much great stuff is at our local thrift stores.. Were on the Central Coast California.. lots of wealthy folks tossing barely used clothing. So its been a game for our family. And with my work i trash shirts faster than superman. So I dont feel bad when i tear a 2.00 shirt.

But growing our own food, eating tasty pork. Our family house, farm and business is all off-grid. totally No power lines coming in what so ever.

Remember try to do without something. after a while it gets easier.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
  6. annabananaandfamily

annabananaandfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maine
  7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I washed several loads of the powdered detergent in my HE washer.....it is not getting them clean. I will try the liquid next load and hopefully better results. If not, then I would use the powdered detergent for other things to wash by hand.

8. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I used the homemade laundry soap for a while, but found it wasn't getting grease stains out. Maybe I should have used it in conjunction with a spray stain remover?

9. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    Mulewagon, apparently, we have the extremely rare "Honey Badger Squirrels" here, 'cos they don't care. They're baddass. They wait until after it rains and washed enough away. The birds maybe get one day of peace.

10. Aimless Farmer

Aimless Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2007
    N. Central MA
    Big Jim/LazyQ, thanks a bunch! I'll let you know how it goes;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by