Just curious who else is living super frugal

I've told hubby that I'm not going to allow myself to be too tired to cook supper for the rest of this month! His supper may consist of eggs and toast... but no more meals picked up on the way home. Guess I need to do some creative planning. We've been socked hard with vehicle repair bills the last few months. And the garden is starting to produce!!!! Fresh salads.

I mentioned this on another thread, but thought it's worth mentioning here as well.......I've done this for years and saved a ton of money. I have taught myself how to make planters. Therefore when there is a funeral (or really any need for floral arrangements), I don't waste money ordering very over priced flowers and planters. We went to a funeral last week of a family friend. I made the planter with potted miniature roses and fresh flowers. I spent less than $12 on the entire arrangement. I also deliver them myself if the funeral home is local. Therefore saving $7-$20 just on the floral delivery fee.

Save money on vacation: day trips. These days, I'm not even sure that I'd want to sleep in a motel. Some of our favorite trips have been loading up the kayaks, taking off for a river or lake, stopping at a grocery deli along the way and buying sandwich fixings... or some great bread, and pub cheese. Take a cooler along, and you've got everything needed for a great stress buster day.

Lazy Gardener: I feel what you are saying about being too tired to cook dinner after a long day. I work and hours are much longer some days than others. If I can, I cook on Sunday afternoon/evening. In addition to making lasagna or some kind or casserole if I'm energetic, if I'm lazier or pressed for time, I will pop a 5 pounds package of chicken breasts in the crock pot and add a little seasoning. Then I've got cooked chicken for the week and can chop it up later for casseroles, tacos, burritos, chicken salad, etc. Ditto with a dozen or so hardboiled eggs and peeling them. Ready to make egg salad,deviled eggs or just add to a salad. I try to have a couple of quick dinners in mind with eggs or cooked chicken or whatever I know I have. The hardest thing for me is thinking up what to prepare when I'm tired, so if I know I've got bread and mayonnaise and we can at least have egg salad sandwiches and soup and I'm good. Plus there is always breakfast for dinner, considered a treat at my house.

Yes, it doesn't take much to have a meal on the table in less than 1/2 hour. And often, only 10 - 15 minutes of that is actual work. The rest is mindless cooking. I try to plan cooking meat so there is enough left over for at least an other meal. Often, depending on what kind of meat, there will be enough for 2 meals. Same with veggies. What ever veggie I cook, I try to cook enough so that I'll have pre cooked veggie on hand for an other meal. Most of it is just thinking ahead to be sure something is PLANNED. An other thing I do is so very simple: NO ONE gets out of the kitchen without participating in clean up. You eat it, you get to help clean up. I get eye balls rolling a lot from teen ager, but... that's life. Many hands make light work. Ham steak and fish are super fast to go from fridge to table.

Lazy Gardener: I feel what you are saying about being too tired to cook dinner after a long day. I work and hours are much longer some days than others. If I can, I cook on Sunday afternoon/evening.  In addition to making lasagna or some kind or casserole if I'm energetic, if I'm lazier or pressed for time, I will pop a 5 pounds package of chicken breasts in the crock pot and add a little seasoning. Then I've got cooked chicken for the week and can chop it up later for casseroles, tacos, burritos, chicken salad, etc. Ditto with a dozen or so hardboiled eggs and peeling them. Ready to make egg salad,deviled eggs or just add to a salad. I try to have a couple of quick dinners in mind with eggs or cooked chicken or whatever I know I have. The hardest thing for me is thinking up what to prepare when I'm tired, so if I know I've got  bread and mayonnaise and we can at least  have egg salad sandwiches and soup and I'm good.  Plus there is always breakfast for dinner, considered a treat at my house. 

You can make 5 lbs of chicken breast last a week?? How many are you feeding? I've only got me, bf and his teenage son (who eats like a horse :rolleyes: ).. and sometimes my 19 year old daughter, if she's not at work, out or at her father's.

I'm not Jas Humbert, but... a pound of hamburg will feed hubby and I for 2 meals. And if I use it to make tacos or meat loaf, it will easily produce 6 servings. We're not big meat eaters, nor do we need to be. With plenty of veggie sides and a carb, the meat becomes a secondary part of the meal.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom