Just curious who else is living super frugal

Quote:
I think he meant raising it... is that what your sister said?

It depends whether it is grass fed or has supplemental feed.Are you going to have it processed or is your dad going to process it? Lots of variables to consider. If it is grass fed and your dad processes it, it will be the purchase price plus any meds like Ivermectin and such. I used to raise goats and could do it under $25 ea. .

I don't know if this has been talked about or not... I haven't read the entire thread. But, what we have decided to do is to eat very basic things and stop spending money on lots of foodstuff we have always thought of as 'normal' like peanut butter or canned soups or yogurt. What started us thinking this way was what we would do in 'survivalist' mode. In the event of a major breakdown in the infrastructure (telecommunications, electricity, travel, etc.), most of the food on our grocery shelves would be gone in 24 hours. So, we stock large quantities of beans, rice, oatmeal, salt, and other staples. It helps when you really prefer simple eating in the first place.

This is just one idea in frugal living. I'm sure there are many other good ones in this thread... which I'm going to read now. lol

Quote:
That sounds very relaxing and soothing to me.

Boy, did these two lines bring back memories... some of them not so 'relaxing'. lol

Baths in the galvanized tub were ok unless you were the 5th child or beyond... then, it was a little gritty in the bottom from all the sand and dirt. Oh, ick. I just grossed myself out.
th.gif

Quote:
That sounds very relaxing and soothing to me.

Boy, did these two lines bring back memories... some of them not so 'relaxing'. lol

Baths in the galvanized tub were ok unless you were the 5th child or beyond... then, it was a little gritty in the bottom from all the sand and dirt. Oh, ick. I just grossed myself out.
th.gif

yuckyuck.gif

gig.gif

LOL @ gritty.

Quote:
I think he meant raising it... is that what your sister said?

It depends whether it is grass fed or has supplemental feed.Are you going to have it processed or is your dad going to process it? Lots of variables to consider. If it is grass fed and your dad processes it, it will be the purchase price plus any meds like Ivermectin and such. I used to raise goats and could do it under $25 ea. .

I just purchased, a month ago, 1/2 of a cow-it cost me close to 600$. Price depends on how big/heavy the cow is. Best tasting beef I ever had. The processing place cut it up to all my specifications. Freezer is full and it will feed us for about 8 months? I'll do it again next year. All in all-it cost about 5.20$ a pound for every cut-prime rib-filets-ground beef ( 90-95% lean) -stew meat etc...well worth it

Last edited:
Quote:

I just purchased, a month ago, 1/2 of a cow-it cost me close to 600$. Price depends on how big/heavy the cow is. Best tasting beef I ever had. The processing place cut it up to all my specifications. Freezer is full and it will feed us for about 8 months? I'll do it again next year. All in all-it cost about 5.20$ a pound for every cut-prime rib-filets-ground beef ( 90-95% lean) -stew meat etc...well worth it

Around here, you can buy beef -- 1/4, 1/2, whole, etc for about 2.50-3.00/lb processed. Generally, a whole cow has to be purchased, but you split it into quarters or halves with friends or family. My family buys pigs and cows at the local fair from 4H kids. That can run a little higher since people/businesses are trying to support the kids. There are other farms around that sell beef cattle outright, haul it to the processor for you, and you pick up the finished product.

Quote:

Around here, you can buy beef -- 1/4, 1/2, whole, etc for about 2.50-3.00/lb processed. Generally, a whole cow has to be purchased, but you split it into quarters or halves with friends or family. My family buys pigs and cows at the local fair from 4H kids. That can run a little higher since people/businesses are trying to support the kids. There are other farms around that sell beef cattle outright, haul it to the processor for you, and you pick up the finished product.

I know I could have had it cheaper per pound but I was very picky as to what kind of meat I wanted cut -I had alot of ground beef due to the family not eating alot of certain cuts..So it made my per pound price go up:(

Last edited:
Quote:

I wish that I could find something like that around my area.

Quote:

me too, I need to start looking around

Quote:

me too, I need to start looking around

Depending on how far you are from me I can hook you up with the same person--You can buy the whole cow or find others to go in on it with you..Typically he may have a list of folks who only want half or 1/4 and he waits until the whole cow is bought. He takes them to the processor for you-then you call processor and give specifications as to what you want-You pay the man who owns the cow ahead of time-then the processor when you pick up the meat!!! Pm me if you want;)

Back
Top Bottom