Just curious who else is living super frugal

Do you refer to Arnold, the pig in the TV show Green Acres or Arnold the ex-govenor of California "I will be Back"???
A pig is a pig.
bun.gif
I'm not the one who maid that up. Get it, maid?
wink.png

Last edited:
Do you refer to Arnold, the pig in the TV show Green Acres or Arnold the ex-govenor of California "I will be Back"???
Are you aware that Arnold, the ex-governor of California, accepted no salary for his term of office?

Are you aware that Arnold, the ex-governor of California, accepted no salary for his term of office?
i was not aware, thanks for letting us know, I live in a different part of the USA and I prefer not to listen to the news media since I witnessed the news coverage of the refugees coming out of Viet Nam and was seeing first hand what was happening on Guam, the news and reality did not resemble each other.

No, but I know that Arnold Ziffel, from Green Acres, wasn't paid a cent. He was only given room and board!

It was said, "He truly did it for the experience!"
lau.gif
More bacon anyone?

i was not aware, thanks for letting us know, I live in a different part of the USA and I prefer not to listen to the news media since I witnessed the news coverage of the refugees coming out of Viet Nam and was seeing first hand what was happening on Guam, the news and reality did not resemble each other.
goodpost.gif

So, how's this for forced frugality? We had a snow storm and the power went out ... we had three brooders of baby birds who no longer had heat lamps keeping them warm in freezing temps. So... I've been saving two liter pop bottles to build a solar heater for my coop. I filled them with hot water, wrapped them in a towel and placed them in the brooders. The babies curled up and sprawled over them quite nicely and stayed warm all night with no power. Luckily we have gas hot water and gas heat and a gas stove ... so power outages are minor inconveniences. Gas outages on the other hand ... yikes!

So, how's this for forced frugality? We had a snow storm and the power went out ... we had three brooders of baby birds who no longer had heat lamps keeping them warm in freezing temps. So... I've been saving two liter pop bottles to build a solar heater for my coop. I filled them with hot water, wrapped them in a towel and placed them in the brooders. The babies curled up and sprawled over them quite nicely and stayed warm all night with no power. Luckily we have gas hot water and gas heat and a gas stove ... so power outages are minor inconveniences. Gas outages on the other hand ... yikes!
I sure wished you could send some of that stormy weather over here. It looks like we are in for another drought year.

I would call that some clever ingenuity!
jumpy.gif

making hot water bottles reminds me of what we do for camping: we freeze bottles of water and use them in the insulated food carriers; drink water as needed. coming back from camping there is no need for cooling items since we ate them all; and we can refill the bottles anywhere. dont need those stupid blue cubic frozen things.

for the chicks: i guess the next step would have been curling up with them in your bed to keep them warm-- i can tell u a lhasa apso is worth its weight in woolen blanket; lilee in particualr is a great foot warmer, she radiates more heat then the male. oth, in the summer it is a night mare casue they want to cuddle and we are too hot: no a/c. and to cool off the apartment we spill water on the floor and place a fan nearby. - and in the summer hubby sleeps on the floor w/o sheet even, he likes the feel of the cold tiles (and used to sleeping on floors from home)...

yep. we aslo have gas stove so even if no heating, we can cook. its even possible to shower: like in thailand, take a large bucket, fill with cold water, take an other bucket put some hot boiling water in, add cold water until temp is right and then use as a bucket shower (use bowl to scoop water, pour over body. when finished, wash hair by leaning forward. or dont wash hair). heating a huge saucepan of a soup warms up the salon also.

One way to save a good deal of money is to become your own mechanic. With the sophistication cars are today, many of us run to the nearest auto repairman - me included. That is, until soon after meeting DW, my car stranded us on the road into town. At the time, we couldn’t afford a repair bill; so we towed it home where I discovered that it threw a timing belt. I was sure the engine’s head was destroyed and I was planning to have the car towed off to the junk yard. DW refused to believe the car was worthless – “Let’s fix it!” “No”, I said “Some of the valves are probably bent. It isn’t worth fixing.” She convinced me to remove the head and take a look. I was right – every one of those valves was bent. “Well - buy new valves!” She is such a stubborn woman! “No”, I said, “The head is probably warped! … Is it?” I started questioning myself. “All right, let me check it…..” The head was in good shape! Soon after, DW and I were stooped over the inner parts of a computerized car replacing damaged parts. I was dragged into that project ‘kicking and screaming’, but it turned out to be time and expense well spent. The car has served us well for the last 2 years, and it is still going strong. The cost was a little over $300 where we would have been looking at an expense many times over that.

Back
Top Bottom