Just curious who else is living super frugal

That is a very good buy on the milk!
Thank you.
I stopped at my favorite store this morning and I found a deal on 1/2 gallons of organic milk and another name brand milk. The expiration date on the milk is not until September 2 and that isn't until next week. There were (6) 1/2 gallons total, so I bought all of them. And for the milk, you can freeze milk and take it out when you need to. Just let it thaw out in the fridge a couple days. There were large tubes of cottage cheese (if you eat that) that was only $0.50. There was an 8 pack of rice pudding for $0.75. Yogurt was $0.25. And there were so many other sale items. I'm happy! :D This is a pic of 2 of the different name brand milks that I bought this morning.
Great deal! Do not refreeze after thawing.
Thanks. I won't.

If you freeze the milk, does it separate? Seems I tried this once, years ago, and there were white flecks in the milk when I made choco milk????? Going to try it again, one always can use milk.

Last edited:
If you freeze the milk, does it separate? Seems I tried this once, years ago, and there were white flecks in the milk when I made choco milk????? Going to try it again, one always can use milk.
Yes after milk has been frozen there is some fat floating on top but it doesn't seem too bad once you get used to it. We don't freeze milk anymore because my kids find that yucky.

We recently froze cream and thawed it to make ice cream. The ice cream was grainy.

We try our best to be! We are debt free, no car payments, no house payments, no credit cards except one emergency card that we put our months gas on then pay off every month (this helps us track how much we spend on it). DH bought a motorcycle and rides that for his commute every fourth day to work (he is a paramedic for the fire dept). I do drive the ten miles to town to pick the kids up from school because the school bus is very late (6pm!) but they ride the bus to school. I always bunch all our errands into that one trip, including dropping DH off at the gym to work out while I pick the kids up (we have a LONG car line wait). I only drive our gas truck except when I need to haul something (diesel is astronomical! Ugh!). We of course have eggs, and DH hunts. We do not eat out except MAYBE once a month if not longer. We barbecue outside as much as possible, saves electricity and mesquite is free. I pick the the wild mustang grapes and cactus fruit and made enough jelly for a year or so. I still pick the cactus fruits and slice them for the chickens, who absolutely love that treat. Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers lol. I plan meals that can be used twice (like stew and then shepherds pie). I know stews, roasts and soups save us because they last for a couple meals or make a second different meal. I can everything I can get my hands on cheap, like marked down produce. I never buy canned jalapenos etc anymore because I manage to find them on clearance and pickle them for DH.
big_smile.png

We try our best to be! We are debt free, no car payments, no house payments, no credit cards except one emergency card that we put our months gas on then pay off every month (this helps us track how much we spend on it). DH bought a motorcycle and rides that for his commute every fourth day to work (he is a paramedic for the fire dept). I do drive the ten miles to town to pick the kids up from school because the school bus is very late (6pm!) but they ride the bus to school. I always bunch all our errands into that one trip, including dropping DH off at the gym to work out while I pick the kids up (we have a LONG car line wait). I only drive our gas truck except when I need to haul something (diesel is astronomical! Ugh!). We of course have eggs, and DH hunts. We do not eat out except MAYBE once a month if not longer. We barbecue outside as much as possible, saves electricity and mesquite is free. I pick the the wild mustang grapes and cactus fruit and made enough jelly for a year or so. I still pick the cactus fruits and slice them for the chickens, who absolutely love that treat. Leftovers, leftovers, leftovers lol. I plan meals that can be used twice (like stew and then shepherds pie). I know stews, roasts and soups save us because they last for a couple meals or make a second different meal. I can everything I can get my hands on cheap, like marked down produce. I never buy canned jalapenos etc anymore because I manage to find them on clearance and pickle them for DH.
big_smile.png
good lord--good for you!! wish I was debt free--we are all American mortgaged up here. the only hope I have is if we have a solar flare and knocks all the banks and computers out of commission.

good lord--good for you!! wish I was debt free--we are all American mortgaged up here. the only hope I have is if we have a solar flare and knocks all the banks and computers out of commission.
Buying a house on credit was the worst thing I could have done. Of course even if you are free and clear you still owe the local feudal lord his share of your crops.

If the taxes keep rising, I would think most of us would sell all our homes and pack into an RV with "carryalong" coop in the back and visit all the parks in the US!

Back
Top Bottom