Just curious who else is living super frugal

I have a new storeroom that is not insulated. Even with an A/C running and a fan during the day it's over 104. I've been thinking about making one of these just to have some place to keep my hatchlings for a few days. Do you think it will be too humid?

OH MY GAWD
bow.gif
You just solved a bunch of issues I have..... To solve the humidity issue just crack open a window.... Swamp coolers work best with a window open.

My issues are keeping eggs cooled long enough for me to gather them. In 105-110 degree heat. The nest box could be set right over top of one of a plywood vent with the air from one directed through.... Oh that last sentence didnt make sense

deb "Off to go make some notes"

It seems to me I read a lot about those people from yesteryear drying much of their fruit. It takes time though. I dried some apple rings one year. It seemed like I had a lot of apples ,but after I dried them, they didn't look like much. I think a good dehydrator would make a difference( mine wasn't high quality- it used a light bulb), but then years ago they didn't have dehydrators; they just set them outside in the heat. You'd have to figure out a way to keep bugs and critters off though...

They used window screens and didnt worry about bugs. here it wouldnt take more than a couple of days in this 10 percent humidity....

deb

I remember swamp coolers. I lived in El Paso for a year about 20 years ago. Here in Kentucky the humidity is ALOT higher. It's funny, unless you've lived in both kinds of places you don't really understand the phrase " It's a dry heat..." It is totally different!
I'm not sure how long it would take to dry fruit outside here.

OH MY GAWD
bow.gif
You just solved a bunch of issues I have..... To solve the humidity issue just crack open a window.... Swamp coolers work best with a window open.

My issues are keeping eggs cooled long enough for me to gather them. In 105-110 degree heat. The nest box could be set right over top of one of a plywood vent with the air from one directed through.... Oh that last sentence didnt make sense

deb "Off to go make some notes"

There's another video that shows just a box fan and a bucket. That might be easier for me. I don't know. I just know that my babies will be here in about 10 days and15 days and I have to have a better place for them than 104 degree storeroom. I may have to do like last time and leave them under the trees in the daytime and put them up at night.

It seems to me I read a lot about those people from yesteryear drying much of their fruit. It takes time though. I dried some apple rings one year. It seemed like I had a lot of apples ,but after I dried them, they didn't look like much. I think a good dehydrator would make a difference( mine wasn't high quality- it used a light bulb), but then years ago they didn't have dehydrators; they just set them outside in the heat. You'd have to figure out a way to keep bugs and critters off though...

I remember swamp coolers. I lived in El Paso for a year about 20 years ago. Here in Kentucky the humidity is ALOT higher. It's funny, unless you've lived in both kinds of places you don't really understand the phrase " It's a dry heat..." It is totally different!

You have me thinking-- based on some eaerly American history, the "kitchens" actually had a fire going most of the time, even in summer, and perhaps ther is a clue here somewhere about the drying process-- not sure of the specifics though. . . more musing about how to dry items in NEw ENgland where we have about hal hte summer days that are humid, and the others more dry; and come fall, the rainy season starts again.

Perhaps that is why ciders were often made; and fresh apples stored in barrels.

Talked to a friend today. She is from Poland and mentioned how her mom made sauer kraut. She had a big oak barrell that made enough to feed the family for a year. Not sure where to get food grade barrels these days. My mother used heavy clay . . . . cylinders-- not sure of the techinical name-- and made cucumber pickles.

Perhaps drying was a regional process . . . ?? Wonder if there is a way to dry using a small fire-- boys would love that . . .lol for all of 1 day!!! lol THen it would be a boring chore!!!!!

Smoked fruit??

[/B][/B]
I think what you mean for the sauerkraut is a heavy clay "crock". They are still around. Some people want a fortune for them, others just get tossed away in a box of junk at an auction or estate sale. Found an old brown and white one in my Dad's barn after he passed away and brought it home to start sourdough in.

You have me thinking-- based on some eaerly American history, the "kitchens" actually had a fire going most of the time, even in summer, and perhaps ther is a clue here somewhere about the drying process-- not sure of the specifics though. . . more musing about how to dry items in NEw ENgland where we have about hal hte summer days that are humid, and the others more dry; and come fall, the rainy season starts again.  

Perhaps that is why ciders were often made; and fresh apples stored in barrels. 

Talked to a friend today. She is from Poland and mentioned how her mom made sauer kraut. She had a big oak barrell that made enough to feed the family for a year.  Not sure where to get food grade barrels these days. My mother used heavy clay  . . . . cylinders-- not sure of the techinical name-- and made cucumber pickles. 

Perhaps drying was a regional process . . . ?? Wonder if there is a way to dry using a small fire-- boys would love that  . . .lol for all of 1 day!!!  lol THen it would be a boring chore!!!!!

Smoked fruit??

Last edited:
YEs, that is the word Crock pot-- the old original term for a pickling barrel. Wonder if my mother still has hers?

Yes it is sad to see such beautiful things in the trash. I have never quite understood that. When my FIL told me his mother put her wedding dress in the trash I was appalled-- she did it because she didnt thnk anyone would want it. OMG--

Maybe this is the year to hit some of the yard sale more seriously. Might find a gem.

Yup.... I bet youd need some way of containing the fruit and dehumidifiying the container.... I bet there is a You Tube hillbilly version .... LOL.
gig.gif

deb

Back
Top Bottom