Just curious who else is living super frugal

How difficult is it to cut off the side wall? Aren't there steel bands? What did he use for a tool? I'm thinking Jig saw would be the easiest. My best potato crops come from potatoes that I never plant, especially if they're growing with the corn. Those 2 veggies seem to really like each other. I finally broke down and ordered some Adirondack Red potatoes for this year. They were expensive, but, if I pay attention to storage, I'll be able to save some of each crop for following years.

How difficult is it to cut off the side wall? Aren't there steel bands? What did he use for a tool? I'm thinking Jig saw would be the easiest. My best potato crops come from potatoes that I never plant, especially if they're growing with the corn. Those 2 veggies seem to really like each other. I finally broke down and ordered some Adirondack Red potatoes for this year. They were expensive, but, if I pay attention to storage, I'll be able to save some of each crop for following years.

You have to use a jig saw.... drill a pilot hole on the side and go for it. There are steel threads in the side wall but the concentration of steel is along the Tred.

There is a usde Tire place here that has a WHOLE dumpster of just the treds and one with just the walls. I keep looking at them and thinking Hmmmm I could use both .... maybe... Hmmmm You could definately use the treds as fencing material. and the side walls like shingles... The problem with the side walls is you need something bigger than a jig saw to cut through that rib that seats inside the wheel... Most likely a bolt cutter.

Wheel construction

deb

Do you think those treads go to the land fill, so they'd be happy to have them removed? All sorts of uses for those: set on a plywood base, form them to what ever shape works, use them for chickie sand boxes. Use them to line raised beds. Bury them with tread facing out for lawn edging. Heat sink around tender garden veggies.

I bet the tires will go to good use

a tire place neer me cuts the tires down like that, I asked about getting some tires a couple years ago and they told me they sell the tires to a company that makes that recycled tire mulch and other stuff like that.

Id be leery of growing in tires. They're made of petroleum by products. Not something I want leeching in my soil no matter how cheap they are.

Planted blackberry, bosenberry, and raspberry yesterday. Adding a few perennial fruits and vegies each year. $5 for a plant with a lifetime of fruit versus $5 for a container once a week.

Keep seeing things about people in California claiming to grow 6,000 lbs of food on 1/10 the acre of land. I have 1/3 rd acre and everything that isn't house or chicken yard is growing something and I can't grow anywhere near that number.

How difficult is it to cut off the side wall?  Aren't there steel bands?  What did he use for a tool?  I'm thinking Jig saw would be the easiest.  My best potato crops come from potatoes that I never plant, especially if they're growing with the corn.  Those 2 veggies seem to really like each other.  I finally broke down and ordered some Adirondack Red potatoes for this year.  They were expensive, but, if I pay attention to storage, I'll be able to save some of each crop for following years.

My husband and son used a sawzall. The one with the rechargeable battery wasn't powerful enough for more than one or two before having to be recharged, but my husband has an electric sawzall that did the job nicely.

Last edited:
When tire rubber is recycled its put through a fine chopper and the metal bits are pulled out.... then its sold off for making products such as stall matts for horses, Rubber feed buckets as well as rubber pavers and many many other possibilities I am sure that I don't know of. I feed my chickens and horse and goats out of recycled rubber tire products...

deb

Not aquaponics. You have to remember California has mild winters and a very long growing season. The only thing we dont have is water in abundance.
this first is a news interview
0.jpg

This is a short fifteen minute documentary. I havent watched it all.

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom