Just curious who else is living super frugal

You have to use a jig saw.... drill a pilot hole on the side and go for it. There are steel threads in the side wall but the concentration of steel is along the Tred.

There is a usde Tire place here that has a WHOLE dumpster of just the treds and one with just the walls. I keep looking at them and thinking Hmmmm I could use both .... maybe... Hmmmm You could definately use the treds as fencing material. and the side walls like shingles... The problem with the side walls is you need something bigger than a jig saw to cut through that rib that seats inside the wheel... Most likely a bolt cutter.

Wheel construction

deb
I wonder if a 4.5" angle grinder would make this job easier. You can get cutting disks made for steel or for masonry work. I use mine for all kinds of projects.

I'm doing my happy seedling dance.
wee.gif
Bought one of those ridiculously overpriced packs of multi-colored cherry tomatoes a month ago. The tomatoes were actually TASTY, for a store bought tomato. There were some dark ones, about 1.5" diameter that were a "chocolate" color, for lack of a better description. So, I saved the best 2 fruits, and fermented, rinsed and dried the seeds. Planted them on the 18th, and have lots of sprouts today! I'll be doing that some more: looking for tomatoes and peppers in the produce section that I can eat and propagate at the same time. BTW, I enjoyed that first pack of cherry tomatoes so much, I bought an other one!

Now, this is me, doing my happy egglet dance.
wee.gif
Candled one carton of eggs in my home made incubator. 14/15 showing good development on day 6, with the last one too dark to see into. Incubator cost about $20 to make, and would have been even less if hubby wasn't such a stickler about the light sockets! This will be my third brood in this bator!

I'm doing my happy seedling dance.
wee.gif
Bought one of those ridiculously overpriced packs of multi-colored cherry tomatoes a month ago. The tomatoes were actually TASTY, for a store bought tomato. There were some dark ones, about 1.5" diameter that were a "chocolate" color, for lack of a better description. So, I saved the best 2 fruits, and fermented, rinsed and dried the seeds. Planted them on the 18th, and have lots of sprouts today! I'll be doing that some more: looking for tomatoes and peppers in the produce section that I can eat and propagate at the same time. BTW, I enjoyed that first pack of cherry tomatoes so much, I bought an other one!

Now, this is me, doing my happy egglet dance.
wee.gif
Candled one carton of eggs in my home made incubator. 14/15 showing good development on day 6, with the last one too dark to see into. Incubator cost about $20 to make, and would have been even less if hubby wasn't such a stickler about the light sockets! This will be my third brood in this bator!
You need to sell those homemade incubators! =)

No way, no how! Too much liability risk to sell something made from mickey mouse electronics without an electrician's license! I wouldn't even loan my incubator to my best friend due to the liability! But, I'm pleased with the outcome from 2 incubations, and now working on #3. Hubby is asking me when I'm going to make my fridgeabator. Which I find to be totally amusing, cause that means that I'll be incubating even more eggs which = more chicks! And, he's not a farm boy!

BTW, the last dark egglet was just recently candled, and I got to see a little black dot dancing around in that egg! That makes 100% viability!

Fridgeabator....great minds think alike! I have a dead fridge waiting to be converted this summer, along with a washing machine to become a plucker. Just waiting for the health issues, and I may wind up paying someone to do the plucker. Honey is capable, but he's in school and free time is limited. I'm just not sure if I'd be confident doing that myself.

Fridgeabator....great minds think alike! I have a dead fridge waiting to be converted this summer, along with a washing machine to become a plucker. Just waiting for the health issues, and I may wind up paying someone to do the plucker. Honey is capable, but he's in school and free time is limited. I'm just not sure if I'd be confident doing that myself.

YOu can also use an old washing machine to make methane if you have enough livestock to feed it... poo.

but a plucker is a good idea. I looked at some DIY videos with the sound off. Some are very annoying because the people like the sound of their own voices.
lau.gif

I only need to see how a mechanism works to figure out how to build one. I saw one made with just a 55 gallon drum and one of those plucking plates. Then the water/feather slurry was directed to the bottom of the barrel that had been cut off. That had a big hole that sent the slurry to a collection container where the water could drain out and leave the feathers for disposal.

another use for a used refrigerator is a smoker. especially if it has wire shelves.

deb

I think the old stove could be a smoker.

We basically replaced our appliances 2 years ago. My health kind of prohibited the projects I had planned for them, but I'm bound and determined to get things going this summer and fall.
You want to come build for me? Southern Oregon's beautiful in the fall!

I think the old stove could be a smoker.

We basically replaced our appliances 2 years ago. My health kind of prohibited the projects I had planned for them, but I'm bound and determined to get things going this summer and fall.
You want to come build for me? Southern Oregon's beautiful in the fall!

sigh.... I have the health issues too. I cant walk from the handicap spot to the front door with out the assistance of a rollator.

deb

Back
Top Bottom