Just curious who else is living super frugal

We use only a debit card for online purchases but we do it a little differently. We have a seperate bank account which we keep zero money in with the debit card attached to it. Whenever we need to make an online or over the phone purchase we simply transfer the required amount into the card and then make the purchase,giving us within about 30 seconds a zero balance again.

Even if somebody gets our card or bank account details they can't run up any extra purchase or take money out as it's an empty account with no credit facility. If you try and make a purchase without there being money in the account it's declined so they can't make fraudulent purchases with it.

I do this too. My card that was compromised had never been used online. I also never pay for gas with a card, always cash.

Its all about being able to manage your money, what works for one may not work for someone else. Our situation works because DH stays on top of all our financial dealings. If it were just me, I may have to do things differently.
It is always a good idea to shop for the best bank/credit union for your own needs. For us, a big national bank has been the best option because we need the ability to hit the bank across the US as we traveled. When we were younger and didn't need the accessibility, a local credit union had the best programs for us. We were hoping to find a local credit union now that we have moved, but there don't seem to be any that have the programs that we want...

I have a local credit union I use, but my employers tried to convert me and some others over to it even tho it was an hour and a half drive one way to the nearest (and only) branch. One tactic they used was a google search to find all the atms in the town I work in that are on the same network (if they are on the same network with this credit union the fees were waived) and they listed the ones that also accepted foreign deposits (meaning deposits to other institutions at that atm within the same network). I told them no thanks since I had a local one I was using already. (atm networks are usually listed on the atm, it's like saying your service station is affiliated with triple a and with aarp).

When Uncle Jay died, my mother found a treasure map which showed where he buried tin cans full of money in various places within his back yard. It all totaled to about $40,000.00. That was during the 50's.

When Uncle Jay died, my mother found a treasure map which showed where he buried tin cans full of money in various places within his back yard. It all totaled to about $40,000.00. That was during the 50's.

I bet some of those bills were worth more than their face value.... Money back then was circulated a very long time.... ones that say treasury note I believe are very rare.

http://coinsite.com/us-paper-money-values/

just a one dollar bill uncirculated given the right stamp could be worth more than 1000 dollars.

deb

smile.png
She could pinch a penny so hard, It would make Lincoln howl. Even now, I miss her.

Making Japanese beetle traps: While I'm not really saving a lot of money: the lure replacements are $1-2 less than the complete trap kits. But, the trap, if it works will be indestructible, unlike the poorly made traps with the disposable bags, or the zip lock ones where the zip lock union with the bag rips out, making the trap un-useable. Copied from an other site:

I used a hack saw to cut the flat part off a 1 gal. milk jug lid, so I was left with the threaded ring. I bought a lure. cut the bottom of the jug on 3 sides so it had one side to act as a hinge. Picked up some yellow paint chips at the hardware store, and put them in a snack sized zip lock to keep them water proof. attached the lure to the paint chip baggie, and hung that from the middle of the hinged lid, so it hung down into the funnel part of the inverted jug. Used the threaded ring to attach a qt sized zip lock freezer bag to the bottom of the trap. The hinged lid is rigged to provide about a 4" opening when the jug is hanging. Beetles still have not arrived, but... I'm ready. Just wish those trap lures weren't so expensive. If this trap works, it will be much more durable than the ones being sold at the stores, and it's hard to find the zip lock version. I may have to look on line for a cheaper source of lures.

The beetles then can be dumped into a dish of water for the chickens. I find that putting them in water slows them from flying away, while the chickens play bobbing for beetles. Free protein!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom