Just curious who else is living super frugal

I have all the ingredients for home made liquid laundry detergent... based on the recipe with Fels Naptha, washing soda, and Borax. Plan to make some this week. However, when I use a product up, I like to buy a replacement, so I'll always have more on hand. Couldn't find any more FN. But, WM stocked Zote. I saw a YT video re: using Zote for home made detergent. The same author (dry canning beans and rice) uses Zote, Borax, washing soda, baking soda, and an Oxyclean type of product. Have any readers tried this recipe, and do you like it? How does it compare to Fels Naptha??

I use Zote because the Fels Naptha is too strong smelling for me. It makes me sneeze.

I quit using it due to my whites weren't white anymore. We also have a septic system and I have a HE washer and dryer.

Haven't heard about the problem with the septic system.

I'm having a problem with my towels, dish rags and dish clothes smelling bad even though I've washed in hot water with Tide. They just don't smell good when they get wet again.

Adding some peroxide should help whiten your clothes.

I'm having the odor problem with everything I wash. It started several years ago. I think it's our water. We have a high mineral content. As a matter of fact, the town used to be known for it's healing mineral water. I hear it was quite the booming town. But we have iron bacteria and who knows what else. I think high iron caused the death of one of my dogs. I had my boy, Quick, tested and his iron is high. We drink bottled water now. They put a filter on the well, but it gets clogged up constantly. They have to flush the system daily. It's a shame because the water tastes great. My neighbor tells me there is a rod in the hot water tank that attracts minerals and, if I pull it out and replace it with a plug, it will eliminate the odor. But I'd need to check with my landlord before doing something like that.

We have a water well, too. Our well is over 500 feet deep and our water is very soft. We had a hot tub several years ago and I couldn't keep the water hard enough. I was constantly putting in ph decreaser and calcium hardner to keep the water clear. We finally sold it to someone with city water.

This thing with the towels started a few years ago. We had a larger water tank put in last year so I know that's not the problem. At first I thought it was my new front load HE washer. My parents live 1/2 acre away and she has the same problem. My mom has a top load HE washer. Their water well is even deeper than ours and the water taste great. The only thing that gets the smell out is to put some OdoBan in the washer. I put it where the clorox would go. It's concentrated so you do't have to use much, maybe 1/4 cup. I don't measure just pour. I buy the OdoBan at Sam's. One gallon concentrate makes 32 gallons.

I'm open for suggestions, I want my towels to smell good again just using Tide or Gain.

We have a water well, too. Our well is over 500 feet deep and our water is very soft. We had a hot tub several years ago and I couldn't keep the water hard enough. I was constantly putting in ph decreaser and calcium hardner to keep the water clear. We finally sold it to someone with city water.

This thing with the towels started a few years ago. We had a larger water tank put in last year so I know that's not the problem. At first I thought it was my new front load HE washer. My parents live 1/2 acre away and she has the same problem. My mom has a top load HE washer. Their water well is even deeper than ours and the water taste great. The only thing that gets the smell out is to put some OdoBan in the washer. I put it where the clorox would go. It's concentrated so you do't have to use much, maybe 1/4 cup. I don't measure just pour. I buy the OdoBan at Sam's. One gallon concentrate makes 32 gallons.

I'm open for suggestions, I want my towels to smell good again just using Tide or Gain.
I have read MANY people complaining about their HE washers (front loading) causing their clothes to smell bad. Here is one article you may find interesting:
http://www.today.com/news/your-washing-machine-growing-hidden-mold-6C10671363

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf95006865.tip.html
here are a lot of comments from people

I also have a HE washer. If I could make that decision again, I'd get a standard washer. IMO, it doesn't clean the clothes as well. We have high mineral content, especially Manganese. I think the HE washers tend to harbor more bacteria. What your neighbor says does not make any sense. I think that rod is there to attract the minerals so they don't cover the heating element. You could flush your water tank several times/year, and that would help.

I bought the LG model about 3 years ago. I will buy a regular top load washer and dryer next time and save a lot of money. It didn't make sense to use less soap and less water and get cleaner clothes but I listened to others. Fool me once.......

Last edited:
Hi all. Sorry I hadnt responded before now. Im processing birds and with the kids in school theres no helpers lol.

I dont use any bleach. I make the liquid detergent. The holes are showing up in odd places, not near a seam or anything. I have a standard top load machine but its brand new...ive had it exactly 2 months. I had an HE machine before and hated it.

We live in the "limestone capital of the world". Our water is very hard. We are on city water and I can run a glass of tap water, let it sit for 2 minutes and you can see the limestone powder in the bottom. Our heating elements went out of our water heater a few months back, and it took hubby two days to dig all of the stone out of the bottom to change the element. But I started noticing the holes before we moved here. I just thought it was from hanging them on the line at our old place, some insect getting to them.

In other news, Ive made a homemade incubator. I have 6 eggs Im going to set today to try it out. If it works hubby says I can brood the chicks in his heated garage over the winter. That way I'll have started pullets for sale in the spring :).

I read on the news last night that Indiana has made it illegal for able-bodied adults without children to use food stamps. They've kicked 50,000 people off the program this month. Hopefully we will see more members here with those people trying to help themselves rather than a higher crime rate.

I hope you all have a great day, it looks to be gorgeous here!

Regarding the front loading HE washers, you need to leave the door open an inch or so when not using the washer. The top loading washers don't have to have a water tight seal on their doors due to the way they work. But the front loading ones do, so if the door is shut there is no air flow inside the washer and it never really dries out, and can harbor and grow all sorts of gross stuff.

I used to run the occasional empty load with a lot of bleach in it to clean my washer due to the odor. Once I started leaving the door open just a little, the problem went away.

Regarding the front loading HE washers, you need to leave the door open an inch or so when not using the washer. The top loading washers don't have to have a water tight seal on their doors due to the way they work. But the front loading ones do, so if the door is shut there is no air flow inside the washer and it never really dries out, and can harbor and grow all sorts of gross stuff.

I used to run the occasional empty load with a lot of bleach in it to clean my washer due to the odor. Once I started leaving the door open just a little, the problem went away.

You can also run an empty load with vinegar.... Dual duty.... kills of organisms... AND helps remove scale from the innards.

Good for any washing machin, dish washer,,, etc

Back
Top Bottom