Just curious who else is living super frugal

Yeah being a prepper is a handy thing.
It's come in handy alot lately.
I haven't had a real tree in 20 years....the whole asthma thing.
When my boys were little we went out in a snow storm (I was very poor at the time...come to think of it I'm am again...darn it) to find a tree to cut. I got stuck easy back in the sticks....it was blizzarding out. We ended up walking miles.my youngest son was real little...he still rememberd me wrapping him in my coat as I walked in a tee shirt probably 5 miles out.
Yeah good times....lol

I'm asking for prayer for Lindsay tonight:  my 9 y.o. GD.  She's been sick for over a week, on ABX, steroids, nebs, fever.  Breathing not good.  Not sure if we'll get through the night w/o trip to ER.  Dr. appt tomorrow.  
Oh no. I am sorry. Poor Lindsay. I'll keep her in my thoughts. Please let us know how she fares.

With the holiday season just beginning I was wondering what others did to keep the holidays focused on the true meaning and not on the commercial end of it. At our home we encourage traditions such as baking cookies with the kids, homemade English muffins the day after Christmas, and time spent together. I am looking for other ways to push out the commercial aspect so that my family can focus. My children are not particularly gift oriented and their lists are usually small and well thought out. (Of course as young children I would ask them their list a dozen times and then focus only on the few gifts that consistently stayed on the list. To be considered it had to stay on the top 3 for at least 3-4 requests. Now that they are getting older (teens and tweens) I am looking for ways to stay connected with them.

Ideas?

We treat it like any other day and avoid going to town during these times and getting caught up in the madness and movement of this time of year. We've never really done Christmas like other people and have moved more and more away from it all over the years, particularly these past few. We pretty much feel like honoring the birth of Christ is following His example and commandments each and every day, so we do that...we live it all year round.

We don't worry about the "Christmas spirit", but follow the direction of the Holy Spirit in our giving, of ourselves and the resources God has bestowed upon us and we make this our work all year round, every year of our lives now. We don't let go of that warm glow and that feeling of deep joy that comes with serving others...it's too good of a feeling to only do it once a year.

We do get together with family, much like we do often anyway, have good food, play games and laugh a lot, help one another in our lives and pretty much carry on like we do all the time.

We don't decorate, we don't give special gifts, cards or play special music, we don't have trees, garlands or twinkling lights. We don't go shopping or take advantage of sales or "good deals", especially not on "Black Friday", that day so aptly named. Come to think of it, we don't do any of the things that the world thinks makes up this event they call "Christmas"...we've pretty much stepped out of it and have come out, become separate. I can't even begin to express how grateful I am that I am not a part of any of that...I was just driving through town today thanking God for that, over and over.

Mostly we just be still, at peace and joyful in the deepest sense, much like we are all the time now, thankful all day, every day, for all the things the Lord has given to us and all the things He has taken away. We try to stay home and away from town unless we just have to go there, work quietly at the tasks we are supposed to be doing, rest in the grace of God, study His word, pray without ceasing and thanking Him for all things, in all ways. What deep, abiding joy and peace there is in it all!
love.gif

With the holiday season just beginning I was wondering what others did to keep the holidays focused on the true meaning and not on the commercial end of it. At our home we encourage traditions such as baking cookies with the kids, homemade English muffins the day after Christmas, and time spent together. I am looking for other ways to push out the commercial aspect so that my family can focus. My children are not particularly gift oriented and their lists are usually small and well thought out. (Of course as young children I would ask them their list a dozen times and then focus only on the few gifts that consistently stayed on the list. To be considered it had to stay on the top 3 for at least 3-4 requests. Now that they are getting older (teens and tweens) I am looking for ways to stay connected with them.

Ideas?

My family is very small. Four Generations Starting with Grandma at 99, Mom at 81, Me at 60, and my Son at 26. There are no Grandchildren or Aunts or Uncles or even first cousins. Three of us live in Grandmas house. Mom lives five minutes away. Dad and Grandpa passed in 1999 and 2000 respecitvely. So this family has been small a very long time.

We are not religious. We have always included friends over the years with our celebrations. For the past fifteen years its been more about getting together for the day. Taking advantage during the sales... I don't do black Friday but I do shop the sales surrounding Thanksgiving and surrounding Christmas.

For Thanks Giving we are doing a 12 pound turkey bought the moment turkeys came into the store. Not frugal but wise. I went to grab a couple of last minute things in Vons the other day and the turkey bins were EMPTY. They ran out ... It was so sad to see people milling around staring in disbelief and understanding that they would have to do something else for thanks giving.

Its not about the turkey its about getting together and appreciating what you have... I agree with Bee on many levels. Tradition is what you make it. Spirituality should be all year long, what ever your up bringing.

This Thanks Giving.
the meal will be
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Green bean casserole
Creamed onions
Sweet potato casserole
Lime jello mold
and pie
Pumpkin
Apple
Pecan
And real whipped cream.

I am thankful that Grandma is still Ruling the roost.
I am thankful that Mom is still on her own
I am thankful that Son has finally found his niche
I am thankful that I am still healty
I am thankful that we can all be together.

the rest is gravy.

Heavenly Father, I lift little Lindsay to you. Lord, I ask your healing touch on her lungs. Ease her breathing and give her body rest. Be with her family and medical staff, give them peace and wisdom.
I ask this in your Son's Name.

With the holiday season just beginning I was wondering what others did to keep the holidays focused on the true meaning and not on the commercial end of it.   At our home we encourage traditions such as baking cookies with the kids,  homemade English muffins the day after Christmas,  and time spent together.   I am looking for other ways to push out the commercial aspect so that my family can focus.  My children are not particularly gift oriented and their lists are usually small and well thought out.  (Of course as young children I would ask them their list a dozen times and then focus only on the few gifts that consistently stayed on the list.   To be considered it had to stay on the top 3 for at least 3-4 requests.   Now that they are getting older (teens and tweens) I am looking for ways to stay connected with them.   

Ideas?

My wife and I and our 2 younguns go to the local shelter and help serve several times a year but especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas as selfish as it sounds we are really blessed by it. If you have one close they probably won't refuse the help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom