Just curious who else is living super frugal

I've been raw feeding my dogs for over 15 years. I started my first when she was 8 years old. You can start them anytime. There's many ways to do raw feeding. I used to do whole bones, but I have gulpers that swallow everything whole, so I feel better grinding everything. I choose to feed a veggie mix, many don't. One of my dogs passes ketones in his urine if he doesn't get carbs, so my vet wants him on non cruciferious veggies and a grain. He doesn't do well with rice, so he gets quinoa. He gets this twice a day. The other dogs get it once or twice a week. Dogs can't break down the cell wall in vegetables, so they need to be pureed and frozen before being fed.

If you're thinking of getting into raw feeding, check for raw feeding groups in your area. We are very lucky to have a meat processor that was talked into starting a dog food business. He now has a separate building just for the dog food. He may also start another in a different state. He has a different route every week and now one mid-week and one into Oklahoma and Colorado as well. We get whole bone, grinds and mixes of tripe, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, wild boar, lamb and some fish. Sometimes we get goat and rabbit too.

I would never go back to kibble. You can feed raw for about the same price as a premium kibble. Asian and Hispanic markets are another good place to shop if you have them.

Cooked, homemade diets are another good option, but you need to watch the calcium/phosphorus ratio.

I've been raw feeding my dogs for over 15 years. I started my first when she was 8 years old. You can start them anytime. There's many ways to do raw feeding. I used to do whole bones, but I have gulpers that swallow everything whole, so I feel better grinding everything. I choose to feed a veggie mix, many don't. One of my dogs passes ketones in his urine if he doesn't get carbs, so my vet wants him on non cruciferious veggies and a grain. He doesn't do well with rice, so he gets quinoa. He gets this twice a day. The other dogs get it once or twice a week. Dogs can't break down the cell wall in vegetables, so they need to be pureed and frozen before being fed.

If you're thinking of getting into raw feeding, check for raw feeding groups in your area. We are very lucky to have a meat processor that was talked into starting a dog food business. He now has a separate building just for the dog food. He may also start another in a different state. He has a different route every week and now one mid-week and one into Oklahoma and Colorado as well. We get whole bone, grinds and mixes of tripe, beef, chicken, turkey, pork, wild boar, lamb and some fish. Sometimes we get goat and rabbit too.

I would never go back to kibble. You can feed raw for about the same price as a premium kibble. Asian and Hispanic markets are another good place to shop if you have them.

Cooked, homemade diets are another good option, but you need to watch the calcium/phosphorus ratio.

Oh thank you for this.....
bow.gif

Well, learn something new every day! I had no idea it was so acceptable to feed grains, fruits and veggies to dogs. I've never shied away from feeding mine table scraps and knew they would eat those things somewhat, but I didn't know they could comprise a decent amount of their food. Huh. Thanks for the education
smile.png

Well, learn something new every day! I had no idea it was so acceptable to feed grains, fruits and veggies to dogs. I've never shied away from feeding mine table scraps and knew they would eat those things somewhat, but I didn't know they could comprise a decent amount of their food. Huh. Thanks for the education
smile.png
No,no! It's just a small portion of meals. Like a tablespoon or 2. Meat and bone needs to be the majority or all (according to some) of the meal. Sorry, I hope what I said wasn't misleading.

Just thought I'd post the materials list for DIY incubator:

$15.88 48 qt Igloo cooler (Walmart)
$ 1.00 12 v. cell phone charger (used) (Good Will)
$ 1.00 Triple tap extension cord
$ .50 2 ceramic light sockets (new)(rated for 250W) (Habitat for Humanity Re-Store)
$ free computer fan. Scalped from a hard drive (at HH RS)
$ free glass (from old photo frames)
$ 1.00 2 x 40 W incandescent light bulbs (from dollar store)
$ 5.21 Clear silicone caulk
Miscellaneous electrical doo-dads, drill bits, connectors, and what's-it's, and the ever important roll of duct tape.

Inkbird All-Purpose Digital Temperature Controller Fahrenheit &Centigrade Thermostat w Sensor 2 Relays

by Inkbird
$16.99

Now, a lot of these items may already be kicking around your house. The cooler can be a no cost item: Pet stores, pharmacies, and no doubt a lot of other businesses receive products in styrofoam boxes that then are tossed into the dumpster. My first incubator was made from one of these freebies. Cell phone chargers may be kicking around in your junk drawer. You may have a friend with a trashed computer. Most computers have at least 2 fans! How many extra extension cords do you have kicking around? Old lamps? Good source of light sockets. Thermostat can be as cheap as a hot water heater thermostat (< $10.00)

And finally, the most important item: A good tutorial. Rush Lane Poultry has a number of tutorials that will talk and walk you through your build using many of the commonly available thermostats!

I have a book with cooked recipes for dogs n cats. A bit of work. More expensive than a good chow. I give whole eggs, yogurt per breeder. and vit c. Dogs get left overs too. occasionally raw veg run thru a blender and poured on chow,

a bit of garlic or scallion too

Baked potatos when the kids make up too many. whole apples, carrots.

Chunks of beef suet.

chicken

duck

I looked up the raisen and grape poisons and found these are not the poisons we have been lead to believe.
I was mystified by the number of wild grapes and thought no hungry coyote will pass up free food, so how can this be a poison to dogs?? Like onions n garlic, moderation is fine.

PS. 2 college profs proved that green potatos only made people feel sick---by eating green potatos!! so not deadly

I have a book with cooked recipes for dogs n cats. A bit of work. More expensive than a good chow. I give whole eggs, yogurt per breeder. and vit c. Dogs get left overs too. occasionally raw veg run thru a blender and poured on chow,

a bit of garlic or scallion too

Baked potatos when the kids make up too many. whole apples, carrots.

Chunks of beef suet.

chicken

duck

I looked up the raisen and grape poisons and found these are not the poisons we have been lead to believe.
I was mystified by the number of wild grapes and thought no hungry coyote will pass up free food, so how can this be a poison to dogs?? Like onions n garlic, moderation is fine.

PS. 2 college profs proved that green potatos only made people feel sick---by eating green potatos!! so not deadly
I always had doubts about the grape thing too. The coyotes around here go up the mountain to a near by vineyard and eat grapes and come back to my place to poop raisins.

Yep...my dogs ate my grapes each year before I could harvest them. And ate apples by the ton, eat corn like crazy, stole tomatoes from my garden, loved carrots and carrot pulp and would eat them like candy.

Foxes love wild grapes as well.

I always had doubts about the grape thing too. The coyotes around here go up the mountain to a near by vineyard and eat grapes and come back to my place to poop raisins.

The issue with grapes is that a very very small percentage of dogs have an extremely bad reaction to them, so people say "grapes are poisonous for dogs". Kind of like saying peanuts are bad for people. In general, no, but the ones they are, they are really bad for.

Personally my dogs have always eaten grapes, and haven't had any issues.

Back
Top Bottom