Just curious who else is living super frugal

I wanted to comment on the social aspect of frugality. I am one of them that complained that it is making social difficulties in my life. It still is but...

This weekend I had an influx of friends and family come visit. They showed up early, midday and late - and none of them were expected. In the end I had 11 children, 3 puppies someone brought with them, and a slew of adults - and every single one of them was hungry. Spaghetti was the only thing I could think of and so spaghetti it was.
I cooked an enormous batch of sauce up and got a pot boiling with as many noodles as I could fill it with. We served the first round of people and everyone ate in turns. People sat in chairs, joggled little ones on their knees, and others simply stood at the table and ate. As soon as a plate was emptied, my husband washed it and the next person was served. As soon as I poured the noodles in the colander, I set another pot of noodles to boil. They ate it - and they had seconds and thirds, and while they were eating that I made a quick peach cobbler using some of the peaches I had canned. Thank heavens I have an indoor oven and an outdoor oven. I had never needed them more.
Every single person that ate dinner with us, seemed to immensely enjoy what they were served and the good company as well. I can sincerely say I cannot remember having as good a time at any of the nice dinner parties I used to throw.

I have been grappling with how to handle our change in income. I certainly won't be giving the same type of gifts at holidays or socializing in the ways I used to. This has been a real journey for us...still is. But I think I am starting to see that it will all be okay. Like the lyrics to Three Little Birds: "every little thing, is gonna be all right."

Quote:
Rathbone, it is the "spirit" of things that makes them special, and you seem to have done just that with your impromptu party this past weekend. You must be special if everyone wants to come visit like that.

Don't worry about Christmas and gifts and stuff. You have good friends and family that love you.

This year I'm "Making" gifts for everyone. I'm making special coffee mugs and omelet dishes (I'm a potter/ceramist) and lots of canned goods to go with them. Breakfast on me so to speak.

Keep your chin high
smile.png

Rathbone -- I love doing homemade gifts for Christmas. And taking up sewing would be a great way to make some gifts!

Some of the things I do for homemade gifts:
Blankets
Tablerunners
Aprons
Homemade loaf of bread with homemade jam
Homemade beef stick/hickory stick
Homemade canned salsa

I'd like to get into these too:
Homemade soaps and lotions

Just thought I'd pass a frugal tip along:
Frugal dishwasher rinsing agent -- all you need is white vinegar!! Just fill up the rinsing agent dispenser in the dishwasher and run like normal. It works, too! I filled mine up earlier this week and my glasses look lovely again!

Anybody make their own dishwasher detergent? I saw one for equal parts borax and washing soda. Mix it up, keep it in an airtight container. Use one or two tablespoons in the detergent dispenser per load. I just wondered if anybody had tried it. I have a high efficiency dishwasher, I don't think it would matter since I just use regular old Cascade (Sam's Club brand, though), do you?

add some salt for extra scrubbing, and citric acid helps (2 tsp per cup of mixed powder) also. the vinegar is essential
It works great. Just remember not to use too much or you get the powdery residue left on glasses.

Gift giving is always a sticking point with me. We've always been pretty poor, even when I was young, so gifts have always been something someone needed instead of what they wanted.

I still have that tendency but so often the people with whom one has to exchange gifts don't really NEED anything. They have every gadget known to man and more money than I'll ever have. What useless thing can you buy them and where will it be in a year? I've already seen their expressions with homemade gifts, no matter how pretty or cleverly made. Homemade just isn't in their vocabulary....
roll.png

I'm also very hard to gift, as I'm not like most women when it comes to froufrou things and I'm currently trying to get rid of most all my material things anyway....so what does one buy for someone who doesn't want "things"? What does one make or buy for one who has everything? What is worth wasting money upon that people will actually use?

.....or is gift buying/making just a tradition that has run its course?
hu.gif

BeeKissed - we sound alot alike when it comes to gifts. The MIL, especially, doesn't get that I don't like all the froufrou things. I like practical things. I just don't go out and buy myself stuff like alot of others do. So when I ask for a hand blender - I really do mean it! I don't like those trinket type things lying around, either. She'd rather buy me things like Pandora bracelet/charms, which I'd never wear. You can't wear that to garden or clean out the coop!

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you~!
thumbsup.gif
for the wonderful tip on the vacuum bags. I make & freeze goat cheese (chev're) daily & the cost of the bags is"over the top"~! I took your advice & ordered a dozen rolls. They arrived yesterday & I used them for the first time last night. OMG how wonderful, inexpensive & durable. This has cut my expense for bags in half. I can't thank you enough.
bow.gif

I'm so glad it's helped you wwmicasa. The prices they get in the stores for those bags are outrageous. And I know there are plenty of off brands that don't work also!

You know about the gift subject, I was talking to a co-worker about homemade gifts. I told her that my family doesnt really appreciate them. She told me " Well, that just says a whole lot more about them, than it does about you!" And you know, shes right! If I put a lot of thought and effort and GAVE you something, and you look down your nose at me? Well, you must not be a very great person!

Quote:
For people who have "everything", I like to make up a gift basket with some special chocolates, candies, coffee, maybe a liqueur or bottle of wine if they like that sort of thing. I've also done cheeses and meats. Throw in some special seasonal cloth napkins or a table runner or what have you...never had anyone dislike a gift basket, even a homemade one!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom