Just curious who else is living super frugal

I've used the homemade detergent for my old washer, it has done very well with it. Then I tried it with my new washer (front load) HE and it didn't smell clean or get clean like my old washer did. It was wasteful, IMO. OK for blankets that dont need high power detergent. I would put in two to three TBs of dry detergent in HOT water in a detergent cup so it would melt a bit before I dump it on top of the load for my HE washer. I've tried the liquid recipe, still same results. It does smell good tho and glad my bedsheets are for homemade detergent and just use the expensive HE detergents for very stubborn stains, jeans, and soiled items (like my cloth pads....yep, save ALOT of money on those than store bought pads!)

So I am back to HE detergents but I do add washing soda to my loads once in a while to get the maximum use out of it. We have extremely HARD water, thanks to the city water.

Cheap generic detergents, you have to use MORE of it to get the same effects. Not a money saving item to have either. I want something that would use less, puts out the max effort itself and really it is not bad. I did a comparison with Xtra and Tide...Tide won hands down with the things I was looking for.

Too bad those homemade detergents don't have coupons, I could have use them for washing blankets, coats or things that don't get soiled or lightly worn.

Problems with coupons, I am brand specific and know which one WORKS for me and what my family likes.

Quote:
Beekissed, do you have a high efficiency washer? I'm a hobbyist soapmaker. About the time I considered making my own laundry detergent, my washer broke down and we replaced it with a high-efficiency model. I know that standard storebought detergent would gum it up... do you know much about homemade detergents and the new washers?

I don't coupon either. My family can't eat processed food because of various health issues, so almost everything we buy are raw ingredients. We watch the grocery circulars and go in when produce or meats are on sale. And as far as everything else... I make or recycle whatever I can, including my own soap and yogurt. I don't want to pay for someone to do that for me, and give me a substandard product in trade for it, when I can spend a few hours and make something worthwhile.

I do not but there are many on here and SS who do and find that the homemade soap is perfect for the high efficiency washing machines....many of them use the dry recipe. It is septic tank friendly, low sudsing, and leaves no residue on clothing...I barely have any static in my clothing and this is good. Static and using fabric softener sheets in the dryer can lead to fires, even when the machine isn't in use.

I use the dryer balls in the dryer and have used the same pair for about 5 years now....they do a great job.

The above boldened sentence is also why coupons don't work for me.....I've rarely seen a coupon for a large bag of rice or beans. I buy all my liquid soap as a base, in bulk, which means it lasts me for years, has no scenting unless I add it and I dilute it into a foaming handsoap dispenser to make it go even further. I haven't bought soap for many, many years.

Toothpaste? I've found that a pea-sized amount on the brush creates the exact amount of cleaning power I want, so a tube lasts me several months.

Razors? I use the same one for about 6 mo. because I shave every time I get in the shower....very little hair to cut means razors last much longer. So a typical pack of razors from the Dollar Store lasts me a couple of years or more.

Most of these kind of items can be found so cheaply and used so lightly that they literally last me for years without more purchasing. I don't even bother to look into the coupon section of the paper because, by the time I need to buy something, the coupons have expired.

Quote:
I am just jealous that you can shave in the shower. Me shaving includes a bowl of hot soapy water, a chair and my foot against the wall. I can't even shave in the bathtub! Course I am 6'4" and it is kinda hard to keep balance.
smile.png
We don't eat many beans or rice - we eat food that we grow in our garden and as for meat - we either eat what we raise or hunt and kill. Produce we grow or buy at farmer's markets/neighbors - in the winter it is a given to not eat fresh produce because even the crap you buy in the store has been shipped in from another country - goes against my 100 mile diet plan.

wink.png
make your own condiments. they are cheaper and healthier
a quick search for recipes for mayo, mustard, catsup/ketchup, bbq sauces, steak sauce, even hot sauce will reward you with a creative adventure and a treat for your wallet and tastebuds.
anyone else out there making their own?
ETA: oh wow, now I'm going "make your own" crazy.. look what I dug up:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Worcestershire-Sauce
wee.gif
smack.gif
yep.. off the deep end for sure!

Last edited:
I got a real bargain yesterday. Goodwill and Hospice at times will get patterns. I finally made time to go through the box. Inside was only one pattern I could use but its the right size for my youngest daughter and its for pj's and nightgowns. .50C You just cannot beat that. Now i just need to hit a black friday sale for some inexpensive flannel and I can get one little one in jammies.

I scored today big. I mean serious big and I never went inside a store. We went to load firewood at my brothers new farm. The same farm he rented out to someone who was growing corn this year. They left TONS and I do mean TONS of corn all over the place. So today we gleaned and probably tomorrow we will glean some more. There is at least a truckload or two laying around easy pickings. We filled a 55 gallon drum with corn already and all the corn is still waiting for us too. So we got a truck and trailer full of firewood today and a 55 gallon drum of corn. FREE. I like free. Its my favorite type of discount. Seriously 90% has gotten me wicked excited before but free is so much better. So while others we know managed to put them selves at least a thousand dollars deeper in debt today we saved ourselves some money. It feels good.

wow Heatherlynn, you have had a very lucky couple of days!!
while I didn't do any shopping, I was actually making $ on a day many ppl were spending.
worked a full day at my 2 jobs today (too bad its not double time workn holidays..)
hope everyone had a fantastic turkey day!!

Back
Top Bottom