Just curious who else is living super frugal

How to cut your grocery store bill by 90%!

Here in Texas we have a grocery store chain called HEB. ( http://www.heb.com/home/home.jsp ) OldGal has left her security job at WalMart and moved to HEB. Last night she witnessed something that surprised her. A lady came into the store and searched out all of the expired stuff. Produce, canned goods, frozen foods, everything! Some were only 1 day out of date, but they were expired.

When she got to the checkout, she told the cashier about their status. The cashier called a manager who gave her everything at 10¢ on the dollar. She says she does this once a week. I don't know if it's only this one store that will do this or if it's HEB policy, but it's worth a try. ;)

That is what I do. Post #657.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/506813/just-curious-who-else-is-living-super-frugal/650

I know this makes me sound cheap, which is ok because I sorta am. At various gatherings at church, scouts, or family I bring home scraps. I will bring home bags of veggies, fruit and bread to feed the chickens, ducks and geese. I can't stand to see so much food thrown away when I have perfectly non picky animals at home that would love the extra treats.

I know this makes me sound cheap, which is ok because I sorta am. At various gatherings at church, scouts, or family I bring home scraps. I will bring home bags of veggies, fruit and bread to feed the chickens, ducks and geese. I can't stand to see so much food thrown away when I have perfectly non picky animals at home that would love the extra treats.
I think that is a great idea, I hate to see stuff go to waste too.

I hate to see stuff go to waste too. I was thinking about this thread the last couple of days as I was sorting through the last of the chard which is badly infested with leaf miners. It was drudgerous, and took a long time to pick out the infested leaves, then chop, blanche & freeze. DBF came in and asked "why are you going to all that trouble?" Because I don't want to waste! Especially stuff we took time to grow. I got to try out the Foodsaver that DBF found at the garage sale for $5.

Tonight, I get to blanch & peel chicken feet! I'm saying "I get to" to remind myself how lucky I am to be able to raise chickens.
tongue.png
I'm not crazy about peeling chicken feet, but they make the best stock, which makes the best gravy in the world. Saying "I get to" keeps me happy and grateful, which makes being frugal a lot more sustainable and fun.

I do most of my shopping once a month, things like milk or special items I do go to pick up periodically. This I do because I HATE shopping. But it dose help save money! My hubbie and I made the choice for me to stay home, my job was literally driving me crazy. He dose make enough to pay the bills and buy essentials food, gas, stuff for the kids. I shop at thrift stores often for clothes, appliances, or anything else I can think of so it costs less- do have a hang up with used shoes, can't wear them. We carefully plan out what we are going to do with our extra money. All the advise and tips on here have been great! Will have to try freezing onions and sweet peppers. Will have to look at how to make some of my own cleaning stuff. Biggest tips I can think of on shopping once a mo. are make a list seperate it into sections of the store you will be getting it from. Research your area, some things I have to get at walmart but cleaning stuff I get at Dollar Tree (save alot of $), veggies (canned) I buy at a discount grocery store SaveALot, and buy bulk frozen meat at a place that sales to other stores,resturants as well as the public (save amazing $ there). I do want to become more self reliant.

I am so so close to debt free and now its harder than ever to stick with being frugal. I mean seriously hard, like daily fight with myself. How do you guys get past these humps. We are 6 months away from being debt free and having enough saved to start building our house without a mortgage. I cannot imagine struggling so much with myself for 6 months.

I will admit it right now I am not doing great with the whole money thing the last couple months. I try but I make an excuse and spend when I know I shouldn't. I feel bad afterwards but that doesn't make it any better. Its just been so so tight for so so long. I have to firm up my resolve.

I am so so close to debt free and now its harder than ever to stick with being frugal. I mean seriously hard, like daily fight with myself. How do you guys get past these humps. We are 6 months away from being debt free and having enough saved to start building our house without a mortgage. I cannot imagine struggling so much with myself for 6 months.

I will admit it right now I am not doing great with the whole money thing the last couple months. I try but I make an excuse and spend when I know I shouldn't. I feel bad afterwards but that doesn't make it any better. Its just been so so tight for so so long. I have to firm up my resolve.
In one year have a party/vacation, that's after you are debt free in 6 mo for 6 mo and have some savings (if you don't already) Every penny you spend now steals money from that party/vacation- prize whatever it is you need then.

-Steals!!!-

Well, count us back in...hubby will be laid off. Its only a matter of days when he will get the pink slip or the transfer to CAT plant.

Got 2/3 of the freezer full and plenty of canned goods. I would have to shop more on meats.

Back
Top Bottom