Just curious who else is living super frugal

My son walked in with a sack of onions. 'Look mum, I got you these, they were on offer, only £1.'I was speechless, Generally there is only two or three of us so a sack of onions needs some thought. So far I have roasted them, made French onion soup and put a lot in pasta sauce. No room in the freezer to freeze them so I have hung them up in the cold, hoping they will keep while we get to grips with them. Next i am making an onion tart, then sausage and mash with loads of onion gravy. No neighbours to share with so we have to go it alone. Sometimes it's best to look the other way when you see a bargain!

If you have access to a dehydrator you can make use of all those onions :) When I find a good deal I grab as many as I can. I just chop them up and dehydrate them. About 5 kilos will fit nicely in a gallon sized ziplock bag. I used minced dried onions a LOT...I toss a handful with most things for flavor. If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do them in the oven...put them on a baking tray on the lowest heat setting available and probably crack the door. You'd need to keep a good eye on them and stir them so they don't actually cook. It's more labor intensive but it would work.

If you have access to a dehydrator you can make use of all those onions :)  When I find a good deal I grab as many as I can.  I just chop them up and dehydrate them.  About 5 kilos will fit nicely in a gallon sized ziplock bag.  I used minced dried onions a LOT...I toss a handful with most things for flavor.  If you don't have a dehydrator, you could do them in the oven...put them on a baking tray on the lowest heat setting available and probably crack the door.  You'd need to keep a good eye on them and stir them so they don't actually cook.  It's more labor intensive but it would work.
That's what I was thinking before I read your post. Dehydrate them. Another thing to do, once dehydrated really well they can be ground into Onion Powder.

I once bought a 50 lb. bag of onions and dehydrated them. All of that peeling and chopping was a huge chore, but I am glad I did it.

Now I have six pumpkins to do something with because my chickens don't like them. I don't know whether to peel and chop or bake or boil or .......

Thank you for the suggestion of dehydrating the onions. I haven't a dehydrator, didn't even know there was such a thing as a domestic size dehydrator, but I will certainly try the oven idea. The medieval English ate braised onions daily, so it's back to the future for us!

We are savings this weekend on our Christmas stuff. We will all be trimming evergreens to bring to a friend of ours who has a christmas tree farm. He makes wreathes out of what we bring him. My mom has more varieties than he does and we have a HUGE amount of hollies. Mom only trims them around Christmas specifically for this guy but we get a fresh cut tree for free and sometimes a wreath too. Old family friend. While we are up there we are going to pick up some fresh goat cheese from another friend who lives just down the road. Its an hour trip so we are combining trips.

Thank you for the suggestion of dehydrating the onions. I haven't a dehydrator, didn't even know there was such a thing as a domestic size dehydrator, but I will certainly try the oven idea. The medieval English ate braised onions daily, so it's back to the future for us!
If I've remembered my history right, most Europeans did eat onions as a vegetable in and of itself rather than just a flavoring like most of us do today. Myself, I love cooked onions and could indeed eat them every day. Must be the European blood in me. lol.

My son walked in with a sack of onions. 'Look mum, I got you these, they were on offer, only £1.'I was speechless, Generally there is only two or three of us so a sack of onions needs some thought. So far I have roasted them, made French onion soup and put a lot in pasta sauce. No room in the freezer to freeze them so I have hung them up in the cold, hoping they will keep while we get to grips with them. Next i am making an onion tart, then sausage and mash with loads of onion gravy. No neighbours to share with so we have to go it alone. Sometimes it's best to look the other way when you see a bargain!
For what it is worth....we grow onions for a restaurant. This year we have 7000 lbs in the drying shed. The restaurant has decided to down-scale their ordering. sooooo what to do with all the onions that will soon start sprouting?

If you have a slow cooker or can borrow one (even 2 or 3) peel & slice the onions & fill the entire cooker to the top. Drizzle a little olive oil on top. Put the lid on & cook them on low for 24 hrs or until they are dark & juicy. Stir them occasionally while they are cooking. Before you know it, you will have the most wonderful Caramelized onions with NO Work~! Use them to make French Onion soup. Top a grilled chop or grilled chicken with a large spoonful. Put them on a burger for an added touch. If you made an many as I made, put them in jars & can them for later. I used 16 oz jars & added a recipe card for French Onion Soup. They will go in all my Christmas baskets. Onions are a gift of God.....

Back
Top Bottom