Just curious . . .

Game Bird Guy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Victoria
Does anyone know where the world's largest collection of pheasant species is? I've been wondering lately about this. I think it would be a great place to go and see, but I don't who has a the biggest groupn of species. Anyone know?
Kramer

That's a tough one.Hard to say,but I've heard Ed Benhardt in Wa state has lots of species of birds and animals,Kelly McMullan in La has a lot of species of birds,Mike and Ali Lubbock in N.C tons of birds..I've never been to either place,but would certainly love to if they weren't so far away.It would be very hard to say who has the biggest,so I suggest you try to go to all of them you can.I love to visit people who raise pheasants.There is always something learned at every place.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks Tony. I will look into those people. I think I am going into the states next year for a family trip, and it would definetely be fun to learn what they do and see their collections. I agree with you. I never tire of seeing other peoples birds. There are only a handful of people where I am who have more than a few pairs of birds, but I can never get enough of theirs. I will let you know if I get in touch with them. I'd love to see your birds too Tony. :)

Any other suggestions from anyone? I would love to find enough people so that I can travel just to see birds.
That's a tough one.Hard to say,but I've heard Ed Benhardt in Wa state has lots of species of birds and animals,Kelly McMullan in La has a lot of species of birds,Mike and Ali Lubbock in N.C tons of birds..I've never been to either place,but would certainly love to if they weren't so far away.It would be very hard to say who has the biggest,so I suggest you try to go to all of them you can.I love to visit people who raise pheasants.There is always something learned at every place.
In N.H.,Tony.

I know Ed raises tons of birds just for taxidermy/pelts but also has lots of species too. I still haven't been to his place yet and he is only a half hour-45 minute drive from here. I know folks that have seen his critters and they all say great things about them

You are welcome to stop by anytime.I don't have many birds,but I like showing them off.What part of the states are you going to visit? Man if I was 1/2 hour from Ed I won't be stopping by until he gets sick of me.
In N.H.,Tony.

Thanks Tony. I will look into those people. I think I am going into the states next year for a family trip, and it would definetely be fun to learn what they do and see their collections. I agree with you. I never tire of seeing other peoples birds. There are only a handful of people where I am who have more than a few pairs of birds, but I can never get enough of theirs. I will let you know if I get in touch with them. I'd love to see your birds too Tony. :)

Any other suggestions from anyone? I would love to find enough people so that I can travel just to see birds.

I don't quite know where I'd be going. I think it's pretty flexible. Thanks for the offer Tony. I will let you know if I am heading out your way. I am also curious whether there are any zoos etc. that have a large pheasant collection.
Kramer

My feed guy is one of the guys who does most of the skinning for taxidermy/pelts for Ed and he always tells me stories about going out there. He was saying that he raises about 1000 ringneck cocks just for taxidermy every season! I plan to get some eared pheasants this fall so I will have to make a trip down there I'm sure. He also has a herd of reindeer and camels that are popular around Christmas. When I make it down there, I will take lots of pics for sure.

Kramer, I think the San Diego zoo has some decent pheasants, not sure what other zoos have good collections. I would love to go to The Netherlands to see some of the aviaries over there, I drool over them online from time to time. I'd like to make it to AUS one of these days too just to see the wildlife and even the poultry since it is so different than here

Ed, really doesn't have many species of pheasants, Blue and Brown Eared, Satyr Tragopans And Impeyans.
Also raises hundreds of Ringnecks and Chuckars for dog training. Also has East African and Stanley cranes and some waterfowl.
Many other collections in the states that have more of a variety of species of pheasants if that is what your wanting.

Back
Top Bottom