Just dusting we think?

allquackedup

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Southern Maryland
We noticed our RIR hens/ rooster today scratching at the ground then rolling around in the loose dirt. Their normal pen has a wire bottom to keep critters out but they were in the daytime pen which has grass and dirt. We were thinking they were just dusting themselves but we wanted to check with our BYC'r friends with more experience. Is this normal behavior or is it a sign of possibley mites or something. How do we tell if they have mites and if they did have mites how do you get rid of them. Thanks for your help!

Yes, they are dust 'bathing'. Wait till you see one 'sunning' They look like they are dead until you get up on them.

I had one laying on my back step, all sprawled out, sunning. She gave me the stink eye when I made her move.LOL

My chickens were out all day today stirring up dust and then laying in it. I think the sense winter is coming and are doing some personal hygiene maintenance. Yours probably are too.
smile.png

I have a RIR hen who 'steals' other girls dust hole...They work hard, make it all 'pretty, fluffy' and then when they get ready to lay down....Ruby runs over and jumps in the hole!! I saw her do it three times today.... I finally went over and made her get out of Eunice's hole...to the other girl's delight!

Thanks to you all for the quick responces. Yes, You are right they work hard to fluff it up and don't like sharing their hard work! Glad to hear all is okay. I was fun to watch them having fun! Thanks again for the info!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom