Just found a birds nest in the coop with eggs, what to do!?!

motoclown

Songster
9 Years
May 27, 2010
New Castle, PA
So a small bird has made a nest in our coop.
It's built in a bag of grit.
I wouldn't have a hard time throwing it out but it has 4 eggs in it.
Now I don't know what to do, should I just let it go, will my chickens eat the babies,
should I move it or just get rid of it.
And yesterday I found an egg broke in the nest box then moved to the flour that was eaten by a small varmint.
I think I know know what ate it.........

I'd leave it, but then again I enjoy getting to see baby birds. Throw it out after they hatch and fledge and then find out where they came in at and put wire over it if you worry about wild birds getting in.

i would worry more about disease than anything else. I have torn out many starling nest this year. as soon as i find them i dispose of them eggs or not. starlings are a pest bird which i consider a varmit and i deal with them accordingly.

Legally, bird nests in use are protected by law. So it would be illegal to move the bird nest if it belongs to a native species. Plus, it's nice to support the local wildlife and allow them to raise their young as they see fit.

If it is a starling or house sparrow nest, though, do whatever you want with it. It's up to you whether you want to move it or not. Starlings, house sparrows, and rock pigeons are not protected by law because they are non-native invasive species.

Not sure what kind of bird it is, I'll have to go look at the eggs.

I am leaning on the side of leaving it then fixing the problem.

We were very careful when we built our first coop to make sure that there
were no places to hide, especially rats, but the bird outsmarted me and
made the nest in a bag of grit, where I could not see it.

It better not leave me mites or lice, I'll have one heck of a problem then.

Picture of the eggs..........

IMGA0555.jpg

Back
Top Bottom