Just found a hidden stash of eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kmdsparrow, Dec 16, 2010.

1. kmdsparrow

kmdsparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    I have 6 laying chickens and as of last week we were getting 3-4 eggs a day. All of a sudden a few days ago there was only one egg and the next day there were none. Today I had some time and I was just watching them as they walked around the run and I noticed them going up to the coop and sticking their heads underneath. I investigated and found about 7 eggs and throughout the day I saw the girls going underneath and laying their eggs. These chickens are so funny! My husband has now boarded up the space. I hope that they will go back to the nesting boxes now!
    [​IMG]
    This is Dotty. When I first looked the eggs were in a pile in the back and when I finally came with the camera she had started pushing the eggs out towards the front.
    Thanks Dotty! That made it easier for me to get them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Crafty little buggers, aren't they! Hope they go back to their nest boxes now!

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Oh don't even get me started on my hens. They lay their eggs under a big wooden dog house we have in the pen. Theres nothing wrong with that ofcoarse since we don't have laying hens and don't eat the eggs, but then when the chicks hatch, It's a pain trying to catch them [​IMG] Hoping your girls will go back to the nest boxes! [​IMG]

ETA: AND if they DONT hatch them, They rot and SMELL, and it's a pain trying to get them out from under there. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  4. Attila the Hen

Attila the Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge GA
    I had a similar situation and was concerned because I didn't know how long they had been there. I cooked them up for the girls. My husband tried to block the area off as well. They got through it and I gave up and just decided to let them lay there and collect them from under the coop. Soon after they went back to the nexting box. However, I did find another cache later on in a pile of straw. The other funny thing is there are 3 nesting boxes but they only ever use one.

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    we found a hidden nest a week ago with 8 eggs in it under a the bottom stone of a stone wall, it was a tiny little space that one of my hens had excavated. We'd been looking for her hidey hole for months![​IMG]

6. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    [​IMG] oh that cracks me up. They are such stinkers. I found a hidden stash... boy did that mess with my egg count [​IMG]

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Haha! Last week I went into the coop after NOT going in there at all and ONLY checking in the boxes for a cold months and then I finally went into the coop and there were ten eggs at the bottom of their ramp! Hah!

8. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Quote:Cripes, we give them four nesting boxes, and they ditch them all an' go lay in a hole in the corner of the coop! it's baffling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by