Just found the gluten free thread! BYC has it all covered!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by nuchickontheblock, Sep 15, 2011.

1. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I'm new to the gluten free world -- been doing the diet about 10 weeks and feel way better. I am missing some of my carbs though. The GF breads you can buy here are $6 - $10 for one loaf, which is nuts. Especially as it is only me eating it - and if I don't freeze half it gets moldy. I'm looking for some type of sweet bread recipe (banana, zuchinni, etc). Is it OK to just substitute the all-purpose GF flour I bought in a regular recipe?
    Thanks for any good, quick recipes.
    Paula

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I take a sweet quick bread recipe that either I know I like, or that has been highly recommended and I simply sub gluten free flour and some Xanthan gum for the regular flour. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

That's your start. Then you have to tweak it a bit. There is no gluten to develop, so cut down on the mixing time.

You can make really good sandwich bread, too. It's more like making cake, because there is no kneading, but you do have to let the dough rest to develop yeast flavor. . But you can actually make good sourdough by making a sour dough starter with gluten free flour and yeast and let it develop.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have beeen gluten free for the summer and I feel so much better. Quick breads are easy to convert. I like the gluten free blogs, they have tons of recipes. I also went on amazon and bought several cook books.
    I take my GF sandwich loafs and put them by one third into zip lock bags, one goes in fridge and the other two in freezer. It stays fresher that way. I found that Udi's is the best tasting, the all rice ones are gross and crumble easily (but makes good bread crumbs).
    Some links to good blogs:
    http://www.elanaspantry.com/
    http://glutenfreegirl.com/

PS, here is one of my favorite spinach ricotta gnocchi recipes that is gluten free:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=563914

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    In most cases, yes, you can just replace the flour, however, adding things like Xantham Gum REALLY help if it is a bread you want to have good consistency with. (not fall apart) Some GF flours already contain it though so I'd say if so, you're good to go.

Honestly, most of the cookies I make I just replace flour with a GF flour of some kind, sometimes I experiment too. (one part teff, one part rice, two parts sorghum, etc)

The joy of GF cooking is that it opens you up to a HUGE world of flours out there that aren't boring 'ol Wheat.

I'm not a Celiac but my family is, and honestly, I prefer the Gluten-Free life and cooking to Wheat.

5. Truevalentine

Truevalentine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2010
    I don't have a lot of experience with Gluten free baking, but a natural food company that I love, Wildtree, recently came out with a line of gluten free products you may like to try. They have mixes for bread, brownies, muffins, pizza dough and yellow cake. All of their gluten free products are made with ancient grains that are richer in vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and antioxidants than some of your typical gluten free products that you find in the stores.
    Check it out at www.mywildtree.com/valentine

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Thanks my friends. I learn so much on BYC about my little hens and everything else!! Always lots of encouragement here.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Paula [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by