Just getting started......questions for the experts here

I just got 4 new chicks, and I've been looking into ways to keep them entertained while in their little brooder. Right now I have a few varieties of food and grit, a little upturned box lid with some dirt for digging (in addition to their bedding which they love kicking into their water) a "babycake" treat, and a little cardboard box (actually from my brooder heat lamp light bulb) with a few cutout "doors" for them to hide in or chase each other around, along with one stick resting in the bedding for them to peck at or hop onto. I've been collecting ideas for "chicken enrichment" in a small brooder, and here are a few ideas I've found:
-Logs/sticks (with bugs)
-Tray with dirt
-Dangling string
-Cat toys
-Food hanging from string (Leafy greens, apple)
-Suet Feeder full of fruit, veggies
-Babycakes
-Potted plants, wheat grass (in run or brooder)
-Laser Pointer
-Pile of straw
-Cheerios on string
-Cooked rice, oats, quinoa, corn
Some of them are probably better when the chicks are a bit older, as you have to introduce new foods or treats a little bit slowly, but they should keep chicks happier in a smaller environment for a longer period of time. Good luck with your roosters, there's always the chance they will get along or one will be dominant and rule the roost, while the other is happily subordinate!
~L

Wow I never would have thought of most of these ideas-thanks so much, I plan to use them all over the next several weeks. Can't wait to see how my chickies react! Very creative!

Thanks to all for the nice welcome- I will spending my weekend trying to figure out a way to expand my brooder space. From all of the sad posts about chicks being fragile and not surviving I don't think I actually thought my 8 would still be 8.....maybe more like 5.... Very happy to be making changes to accomodate my little family.

Back
Top Bottom