Just getting started

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MFord, Mar 18, 2018.

1. MFord

MFord In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2018
    hey everyone- I’m new to chickens entirely, but I’m very excited to start our flock this spring. I have a family of 8 and we live in a very rural community. Our goal in raising chickens is dual purpose, egg production and meat, in an effort to provide a greater independence for our family and give our children a sense of purpose and responsibility. I’m looking forward to learning more and getting to know other members of this community!
    Thanks in advance- MFord

2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya
    I grow chickens, ducks and turkeys for meat and eggs. Once you've tasted one that you've grown, you'll never go back to store bought.

3. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

It's nice to have you here, thanks for joining us! Raising poultry is a great hobby for the entire family.

Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions...we're all here to help each other.

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  5. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy:welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

6. Welcome to BYC! Glad to have you here! Good luck starting your backyard flock!:celebrate

7. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

8. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    :frowwelcome to BYC! There’s so many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.

9. MFord

MFord In the Brooder

Mar 11, 2018
    We just got started last year on our little 12 acre plot- it’s been slow going getting started but I am super excited for this year: I see big changes ahead and I’m really looking forward to it. Thanks!

rjohns39, Teila, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    WOW 12 acres :thyou could even raise Emus. Thank you for joining the Backyard Chickens community- always room for more.

rjohns39, N F C and 007Sean like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: