Just getting started...

Jambruins

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
I am interested in getting a few chickens and have some questions.

Coop Questions
I have an old barn that I can fix up and use as a coop. It is roughly 10'x10' with a concrete floor (cracked and broken). Can I just cover the floor with pine shavings or something?

Do I need to create boxes for the chickens to lay their eggs in?

Should I build shelves with ramps up to the shelves?

Should I install closet rods for a perch?

How do I teach the chickens to stay fairly close to my house and to come to the coop at night? My neighbors are relatives and they won't care if the chickens go into their yard but I would like them to stay on my property as much as possible.

Feeding Questions
I plan on letting the chickens have free range of my yard and the hayfield. The hayfield is cut once/twice a year so it is mostly pretty tall (2' or so). Will the chickens get all the food they need between my yard/hayfield or do I need to feed them other things?

Can I just have a bucket of water filled for them like you do for dogs?

I am sure I will have more questions but this is a start. Thanks.

Ohhh yes, definately fix up your barn to use as a coop! As long as the structure is in good shape it will work out great!!

Check out the coop section and look at pictures of what other BYCers have done...the possibilities are endless..............take pictures and post so we all may see:)

Many things can be used for nesting boxes and perches, you just need to decide what you want to do.

Freeranging is good as long as you have the space....I have three acres and my babies use every bit of it. Be careful though, they will go in the road if you have one near by.

Hope this helps some, I am also new to raising chickens and this is what I have learned so far.

P.S. one more thing....this is an addicting hobby, I planned on 3 or 4 chickens and ended up with 2 ducks, 11 chickens and the strong desire for more!

Coop Questions
I have an old barn that I can fix up and use as a coop. It is roughly 10'x10' with a concrete floor (cracked and broken). Can I just cover the floor with pine shavings or something?

Yes, pine shavings work well and will help composte the droppings.

Do I need to create boxes for the chickens to lay their eggs in?

That is generally preferred as it will help you find the eggs and depending on the design will help keep the eggs a bit cleaner.

Should I build shelves with ramps up to the shelves?

For what? I'm not following you.

Should I install closet rods for a perch?

Most people suggest 2x4 lumber turned with the 4" side up. This allows them to cover their feet with the feathers and prevent cold-weather isses (frostbite).

How do I teach the chickens to stay fairly close to my house and to come to the coop at night? My neighbors are relatives and they won't care if the chickens go into their yard but I would like them to stay on my property as much as possible.

When you first place them in the coop leave them in there for about 7-10 days. They will teach themselves that the coop is their safe place and will generally stay within eyesight of it. A protective rooster will also help with this. They will naturally return to the coop at dusk. I keep a coffee can half filled with scratch grains. When I want to round them up I give the can a few shakes and they come running for their candy.

Feeding Questions
I plan on letting the chickens have free range of my yard and the hayfield. The hayfield is cut once/twice a year so it is mostly pretty tall (2' or so). Will the chickens get all the food they need between my yard/hayfield or do I need to feed them other things?

I think you will find it necessary to supplement with a layer-type feed in order to maximize health and egg production.

Can I just have a bucket of water filled for them like you do for dogs?

So long as it is clean, fresh and accessible I don't suspect they will be too particular with what they drink from.

Hope this helps.

The shelves would be for them to sit on. Would they prefer to just sit on the 2x4's you mentioned?

I have about 1.5 acres of grass which I mow and they hayfield is probably 15-20 acres.

How much feed should I supplement them with and what is a layer type feed?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom