Just given a incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grundail01, Jan 18, 2009.

1. grundail01

grundail01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Dustin Acres
    well i was given a little giant incubator with turner, being that i had to assemble the turner i doubt it has been used. I have read all the different opinions on them and have had it plugged in for most of the day getting it dialed in. So far i have added a nob to the heater controls and it seems to make adjusting the temp a lot easier. So far i have only moved the temp adjustment 3 times and temp is holding for the last 3 hours. Would it be better to add a fan to it or leave it as a still air incubator?

2. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Congratulations on the new incubator!!

We have a Little Giant still air incubator and are hatching eggs today...so, obviously, a fan is not essential. However, I plan to add a fan for the next hatch to hopefully stabilize temperatures a bit.

Just a thought...check the temp with several thermometers. At day two of this set of eggs, my temp on the factory thermometer read 99.5. On more of a whim than anything else, I decided to confirm the temp using a medical thermometer - - 105 degrees!! I immediately bought an accurate digital with a hygrometer.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do ours!

3. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Free is good!

Congrats, hope it serves you well.

4. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I don't have a fan- you should be just fine! You wanna keep that sucker free! Don't go adding a zillion things [​IMG]

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I was given 2 Hova Bator 1602s with turners and they work well. I wanted to upgrade to something better but I'm afraid I'll just turn into an egg hatching monster.

6. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I have a Little Giant still air and just hatched these two days ago
    [​IMG]
    Congrats on your gift!

7. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    i have a little giant still air works great i don't use a fan at all i just have to adjust the temp a couple of times a day but other then that works great! just did my second batch and love it! very easy to use!

8. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    can someone tell me what they have kept the temp at and humidity at for the first 18 days? I wanted to do the dry incubation method but I am having a hard time getting the humidity up and I am finding that it isn't such a dry environment anymore. I have a little bit of water in the bottom, a bowl of warm water in the corner of the bator and also a humidifier in the room...It will only reach 26%. Should I add more water to the bottom? Add paper towels? Any suggestions? I have temps at 100-101. Thanks.

9. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    I also have a LG with turner and I added a pc fan. It was about the best thing I did. It holds a lot better temp and humidity. I am on day 15 at 99.8 with 43%. I love my Lg. Good luck keep an eye on your temp and humidity.

10. slickchick

slickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    I don't have a turner or fan..just would like to know the best way to boost the humidity..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by