Just got my chicks! Have a few questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Whitewinterwolf, May 2, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    First...YAY! I just got my Silkies baby's!
    I have no clue what gender yet, but one Blue and one White baby [​IMG]
    The white one is 3 weeks old and the blue one is 4 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

The white one is a week younger then the blue one *I hope there both girls T_T*
    and I am concerned about that one the most. When I got them, the breeder warned me that the white one was a little cold and needed a heat lamp as soon as possible. he offered me another chick but I my heart was set on that one! XD
    Well, she plays a very convincing dead chick when she is sleeping...And as much as I was expecting it, it still bothers me. The whole car ride home I kept checking to make sure she was alive lol.
    Now onto the problem/questions:

The blue one has a high pitch peep.
    While my white one has an almost hoarse sounding peep, and she sneezes now and then.
    Is the peeping just because of the age difference? And should I be worried about the sneezing?
    She still gets up and runs around, eats and drinks. But its unnerving and im a worried mother hen sorta speak [​IMG]

Also with there change of food there poop has turned to mush, no blood thank god, but its mushy.
    See
    [​IMG]

Also, there food went from organic home stuff to medicated mash, since I did not know they fed organic until after I got them and had already bought the feed. They needed to eat so...well they ate it.

Is that going to hurt them? [​IMG] I mixed the little bit of food the guy gave me with the mash like we do with dogs when we switch there food, but I dont know if it works the same with chicks?

And how often should I be handling them?

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    They should be fine with the food switch. Give them a day or two to adjust not only to the food, but the new surroundings.

I wouldn't take them out more than once or twice a day for 15-ish min right now. In a week or so they can take more handling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by