Just got my first chickens!

BigBossPants

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
Hi all, my partner and I just moved to a new town and bought a lifestyle block (about 6 acres). I adopted my first chickens today and am very excited. My partner has built a fantastic run (I'll post pics soon) and once they have settled in they will be free ranging during the day. The lady I got them from told me I have a black orpington, two rhode island red's, a red shaver and two younger gold laced wyandotes. The shaver is so far my favourite as she is very curious and lets me touch her lol. Visually my favourites are the wyandotes, they are gorgeous.
I'm looking forward to talking chickens with you all :)

Glad you joined the flock
wee.gif

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
Within a few hours of their arrival we had 2 eggs! They are all roosting happily at the moment, a couple have doubled up and are snuggling in their boxes.
I have a teensy bit of chicken experience, I worked in a pet store for the past 8 years and we sold bantams which I took a keen interest in, but the majority of them were 6-16 weeks so I'm not so familiar with laying hens. My partner has been awesome and found me some DE and we were given a sack of kibbled maize (non GM yay) and wheat and layer pellets. I'm off tomorrow to get them some crushed garlic and apple cider vinegar, and maybe some mash as one of the rhodies has a deformed beak. She seems in good condition and I have seen her eating the hard food, but I wanna spoil her. It looks like a few have scaly leg so I will see if I can find some oil for that as well. As far as names, we have called the shaver 'Venus' and the rhodie with the funny beak is looking like it will be called 'BB' (Bung Beak). Once their legs are looking better we will be on the lookout for Araucana's and maybe a bantam or two to incubate our Japanese Quail eggs eventually :D

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on getting the eggs. Red Shaver is one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You will get loads of eggs from that girl. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting many more eggs.

Good morning and welcome to BYC! Congrats on getting your 1st birds and 1st eggs. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Nice to have you join us!

P.S. The cat in your avatar is beautiful, I assume he/she is yours?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your new flock!! Chickens are so much fun to keep. I hope they continue to bring you great joy.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new birds!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom