Just got my first egg.

Joe Prepper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
South Alabama
I purchased a trio of white Japanese Coturnix (Texas A&M) this week and got my first egg's yesterday. It weighed in at .6 oz. I'm trying to decide on an incubator, but if these quail turn out good I might just buy a group from the same seller to grow out.

Hopefully I will learn a lot about these little big guys as I work to stock the freezer.
big_smile.png

~Joe Prepper~

We just got our first today as well. Most of our girls are supposed to be six and a half weeks old, but I don't know their hatch date. I'm so impressed by the size, I expected mini even for quail for the start- like pullet eggs.
The egg is even more lovely than I expected.
Edit: I have to get a new battery for my kitchen scale to find out how much it weighs!

Cheers!
Jessie

Last edited:
I believe you have to wait till the male is consistently mating with the female for the eggs to be fertile so you probably want to wait a week or so.

I believe you have to wait till the male is consistently mating with the female for the eggs to be fertile so you probably want to wait a week or so.

Good idea, I have yet to hear my "male" crow. The man that sold them to me banded him when he heard him, but not a peep in 3 days. Waiting to see if I start getting three eggs :) Actually I an building a few cages and will vent check him when I place them in their new pen.

We just got our first today as well. Most of our girls are supposed to be six and a half weeks old, but I don't know their hatch date. I'm so impressed by the size, I expected mini even for quail for the start- like pullet eggs.
The egg is even more lovely than I expected.
Edit: I have to get a new battery for my kitchen scale to find out how much it weighs!

Cheers!
Jessie

Do your quail go in the little castle house?
lol.png

Do your quail go in the little castle house?
lol.png
They do, I actually found the first egg in a nice little hollow in the middle of it! They will sleep in it too, and are just now getting to a size that only one will really fit in there.
We got a second egg around the same time of day tonight, but it was laid randomly on the floor of the cage.

I purchased a trio of white Japanese Coturnix (Texas A&M) this week and got my first egg's yesterday. It weighed in at .6 oz. I'm trying to decide on an incubator, but if these quail turn out good I might just buy a group from the same seller to grow out.

Hopefully I will learn a lot about these little big guys as I work to stock the freezer.
big_smile.png

~Joe Prepper~
ep.gif
mine are .45 oz.

Back
Top Bottom