Just got new ducks...what are they?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keyt1969, Oct 25, 2010.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I just picked up 4 new ducks. Not sure of the sex but I believe I have 3 females and a male. The lady I bought them from just called them "farm ducks" lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The two on the left are my cayugas

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    They are gorgeous colours..And " farm ducks would describe them well. They do look to be crossbreeds with those colouring patterns. Also I think from what I can see- it may actually be 3 males and one female. How many of them have little curly feathers just above their tails?? Looks like the three with the orange bills are the drakes- and the one with the dark bill is female.

3. keyt1969

We just got them and it's dark so I haven't looked at them well. I was afraid we had more than one male. I didn't know anything about the different color bills. Oh boy I'm SO confused lol. I'll look better in the morning.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  4. chicksbestfriend

chicksbestfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Quote:Never saw a real farm duck myself, but I am going to second the motion from duckyfromoz, I see 3 drakes and 1 hen. [​IMG]

5. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Look like what we call "Heinz 57" here in the UK. aka 57 varieties! Very pretty colouring though. Probably good utility ducsks (layers/meat) and very hardy. I vote 3 boys and a girl too! Not a good ratio:(

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Quote:We raised ducks for many years. You will note the curl at the back of the duck? The curl
    was a male with our ducks. The female has a straight feathered back...no curl. Hope this helps. Aria

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Maybe a runner/swedish/? mix? Very pretty!

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I can definitely see some runner in them and not all runner ducks with yellow bills mean male, but, in your case, it probably does. Also, I think I see some feathers curling on at least two, possibly three. I also see fifth and sixth duck in the photo that looks like a male mallard and a pekin/white mallard. Do you have other ducks?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  9. keyt1969

Quote:I have a male and female cayuga, 3 female and 1 male call and a male runner. So now my ratio is 6 males to 5 females. Guess I better find somewhere to trade at least 2 of those new ones because my others are NOT going anywhere lol

10. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Yes..you can clearly see the "sex feather"..3 boys and one girl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by