Just got some new hens- what breeds are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by angelobutter, Jan 14, 2013.

1. angelobutter

angelobutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    UPDATED PHOTOS ON SECOND PAGE

I just got 10 new hens and was wondering what breeds they are? I am pretty sure there is a barred rock, 3 rhode island reds, a brown leghorn and an araucana but the others are giving me more trouble i am thinking silver laced wyandotte and an australorp but the last two I have no idea. sorry their coop is a mess- it is all clean now. I had just dropped them in it while it was too dark to clean after picking them up but i cleaned it up today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    [​IMG] I see a silver laced and gold laced wyandotte a barred rock a production red and the white one with puffy checks might be an easter egger or ameracana does your black hen have a white earlobe?

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I agree!

4. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    I will take better pictures of them tomorrow and repost. thanks for the help so far

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    The one on the top right looks like a gold laced wyandotte. I don't think you have an Auracana - the white bird is the one I'm assuming you're talking about and it doesn't seem to have tufts. Could be Ameraucana, but also could be Easter Egger.

6. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    I am thinking it is the white one in the nest box and it does have tufts I will see if i can get a better photo of her. I will update tomorrow

7. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    or if not tufts then there are fluffy feathers by her face anyways- i will get a better photo and that will help

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Fluffy feathers around the beak, beards, are what Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers have. (and a couple of other breeds)

Tufts are huge feathers that stick out from their cheeks going towards the back of their heads.

Your looks like it has a beard.

Like this:

[​IMG]

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i know its a lot but can you take pics of individuals from the side as close as you can? be a lot easier to see the birds

i see silver and golden laced wyandottes, barred rock, and production reds...cant see all of them to say about some

10. angelobutter

Jul 27, 2010
    Cornish NH
    yep they look more like the pic you posted. I will round everyone up and do a photo shoot tomorrow :) I love photography so hopefully they will sit still for me and I can get some good up close photos for everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by