Just had 16 baby chicks hatched-new to this please help

Tania3910

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 2, 2009
OK I had a 21 eggs the mother hen hatched out 16 and 4 were no good, they are all yellow, this is the 6th day, and I have had them all caged up together with the mother hen in a big box.

I want to move them into a bigger coop so they have more room, but the coop is raised up off the floor with a ramp to the coop from the ground. Will the babies be able to find their own way back to the nest? or do I keep momma caged in with them, I feel bad, I want to give them lots of room to move around and be able to peck at the ground too?? PLease help new to this I dont wnat to loose any since Ive come this far

You may want to confine them with mom. Sometimes they freeze because they can't get back under mom to get warm, and they also find new and interesting ways to kill themselves that you would never expect. Congrats on the hatch!

I leave my chickie babies with the momma, until she sends them packing. They learn so many lessons from momma and she protects them and keeps them warm.
I have had momma hens take care of the youngsters anywhere from 10 weeks to 15 weeks. When momma hen has had enough child rearing, she will start to peck at them and they learn to stay out of her way.
I don't know how well the chicks would be able to get up the ramp. You could try it and watch them. If momma hen is with them, she will make sure they follow her, for the most part.
When I first let my chicks out, I always make sure I have the time to stay close and make sure everything is working out ok.
I will often put the chicks and hen outside for the day or a few hours and then bring them back in, so they are save and warm for the night. Many times the momma hen picks up on this routine and brings the babies to the door.
Good luck and have fun watching those babies grow.

How do I clean the cage without disturbing them to much, right now I have them locked up in a big oversized dog carrier and the mother hen hasnt been out in a week. everything looks good and they have fresh water all day and food. Im just waiting to move them into the bigger coop that my husband made, but worried about the chicks as its raised off the ground. How long do I keep them caged up for

Are these your only chickens? If so then you can put them into the coop just keep the door shut and they wont have to worry about them finding thier way back, if not I would give them a couple more weeks in the dog crate, by a couple weeks they will be able to follow mom just about anywhere.

Wow you guys are quick at replying much appreciated.....

I have 11 other chickens and 1 rooster in an 8 by 8 foot coop,
and the dog crate is inside the coop with the other chickens right now, however they are locked up and the other chickens cannot get to the mother hen or the chicks. I would love to move them to the bigger coop my husband made, but its much bigger, its 8 foot long by 4 foot tall, is that too big if momma is with them.

When do I start to let them out? We intend on putting up a pen around the chicks coop to allow them to walk around, and introduce them to the outside, but like I said they have a ramp up to their coop and Im worried the chicks will not go up the ramp......................I love my chickens,.................

Another thing is my hen is not very friendly, I got her as an adult hen and she has never been friendly so this makes it hard to do anything with her and the chicks

Sounds like the PERFECT size, as long as they can get too thier food and water I would say it cant be too big, Mom will keep them close. I let mine out after a couple of weeks, usually starting with just a little while in the evening, so they dont wander too far before mom shows them its time to go back in the coop. Once they start to test thier wings, they will be able to make it back into the coop. Mom will go in and call them up the ramp. I would watch to make sure they all make it back safe, thier is always one SPECIAL one that just cant figure out the ramp.

Quote:
If you want the chicks to be friendly start paying attention to them now, because I have found that moms teach the little ones not to trust humans(which is probably a good thing), and if she is already that way it will just make it worse with the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom