1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just had to put down one of our 2 year olds - our first time

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickieFamily, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ChickieFamily

ChickieFamily New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    It was awful but I couldn't watch her suffer.

She was fine yesterday! Not a sign of illness whatsoever. This morning I went out to check on them and she couldn't breathe. Her crown was starting to turn white.

I called our local next door farmer who has had a lot of experience with chickens and he said her crop was empty. She has never had a day of illness in her short life.

I couldn't stand to see her suffer so I asked him to do the job.

She was so labored in breathing. Like she was choking on something but we didn't see anything.

I hope we did the right thing.

Tonight she will have a burial and a little ceremony

RIP Tulip :(

2. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I just lost one of my original 2-year olds also. It didn't take nearly two years. to get attached... How do you make a kinda sad smiley-face? :)( At least I know that Helen had a good life while she was with us, and I'm sure the same is true of Tulip.

3. ChickieFamily

ChickieFamily New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    • Thank you. Tulip , did in fact, have a very spoiled life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by