Just hatched baby chick care questions.

LysanderSpooner

Chirping
Jul 4, 2022
I'm looking for solid advice from our more experienced Chicken parents out there!

I just had a baby chick hatch and Helen, our broody hen, is in the coop with the others with her eggs. She still has five potentials and only one has hatched, this is Day 21. Should I isolate her from the others? I've noticed that other hens attempt to kick her out to lay in that box. I want her to be stress-free as possible and the chicks to be safe and healthy. If I should isolate her, how long and to what measure?

I forgot to mention that it is a Barred Rock Sapphire Gem mix. Thanks for the advice in advance!
first chick spot.jpg
side first chick.jpg
First chick hatched.jpg

If she is in the process of hatching then any interference is likely to be a disaster.
What I would do is make a wire screen that covers the entrance to her nest box.
Sometimes one only has to do this for the time between roosting and when the others leave the coop when they are let out in the morning.
Do this until your hen has finished hatching. You will know because she will try and get off the nest. If there are eggs still unhatched I would leave them as in not try to force your hen to sit for longer.
You will need to put chick feed and water in the nest. The other hens will probably try to get at the chick feed so make sure any screen you fix to the nest box is secure (screw it on top and bottom)
I've done this with a couple of junior hens who sat and hatched in their tribes coop. I found it worked well.
Make sure any water you leave in the nest has rocks etc in the bowl so the chicks can't drown in the water.

If she is in the process of hatching then any interference is likely to be a disaster.
What I would do is make a wire screen that covers the entrance to her nest box.
Sometimes one only has to do this for the time between roosting and when the others leave the coop when they are let out in the morning.
Do this until your hen has finished hatching. You will know because she will try and get off the nest. If there are eggs still unhatched I would leave them as in not try to force your hen to sit for longer.
You will need to put chick feed and water in the nest. The other hens will probably try to get at the chick feed so make sure any screen you fix to the nest box is secure (screw it on top and bottom)
I've done this with a couple of junior hens who sat and hatched in their tribes coop. I found it worked well.
Make sure any water you leave in the nest has rocks etc in the bowl so the chicks can't drown in the water.
I hadn't thought of this! This is a perfect solution!

So about the chick feed and water, I need to put that in the nest with the chick?

I hadn't thought of this! This is a perfect solution!

So about the chick feed and water, I need to put that in the nest with the chick?
Yes. Small bowls and in case you missed my edit, you must make sure that the chicks can't drown in the bowl. A shallow bowl with enough clean stones in to make falling in the water impossible.

The chicks can live for over 72 hours after hatch by absorbing the yolk. Over 72 hours. That's nature's way of allowing the hen to finish the hatch instead of having to take the first to hatch off of the nest to find food and water. That's why they can be mailed to you from the hatchery. You do not need to put food and water in the nest with the hen and chicks. I personally would not want to take the chance of attracting rodents to the nest or spilling water on the eggs and chicks. A lot of people do put food and water in the nest but I'm not one of them.

You don't have to put it in the chick right now, but I would. Do you have any feeders or waterers for the chicks? By the way, welcome to BYC!
I do have some options for chick feeders and waterer. I like to wet the chick food prior to giving, so a gravity feeder isn't up to the task, but I have one I'll use. Thanks for being part of such a welcoming community!

I do have some options for chick feeders and waterer. I like to wet the chick food prior to giving, so a gravity feeder isn't up to the task, but I have one I'll use. Thanks for being part of such a welcoming community!
Your welcome! When I had my first chicks, I didn't have a waterer or a feeder. I used a small plate that I put some crushed up hard-boiled egg(I didn't have any starter feed), and I found a 1/2 inch bowl, and filled that up(checking regularly, of course).

The chicks can live for over 72 hours after hatch by absorbing the yolk. Over 72 hours. That's nature's way of allowing the hen to finish the hatch instead of having to take the first to hatch off of the nest to find food and water. That's why they can be mailed to you from the hatchery. You do not need to put food and water in the nest with the hen and chicks. I personally would not want to take the chance of attracting rodents to the nest or spilling water on the eggs and chicks. A lot of people do put food and water in the nest but I'm not one of them.
If the nest is screened off rodents in the nest are not a concern. Also, rodents in an occupied coop is an occupied coop is possible but not common ime

might not be common but ive had very aggressive rats and squirrels both .. i think blocking it with wire is a great idea if you have it .. and id make an alternate box for the other layers and throw a golfball in there to make it attractive .

Back
Top Bottom